We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

single speed to multi gears ?

youngpensioner 26 Apr 14:41  

Bike:

I have just purchased a Felt Dispatch 2008 cycle and although it's early days yet, as i have not yet been out on it. It is brand new as it was stored for two years. Can anyone tell me if it can be fitted with multi gears ? and approx, what would the costs be ? and what does it involve ?

splits 02 Jul 03:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Keep it SS !

dudley 04 Jul 05:24  

Bike:

My Profile
think you are opening up a can of worms here!
good luck!

if it was designed as a single speed, unlikely that it is an easy conversion.

Rear wheel mount is different, no mount for a rear mech, no gear cable guides on the frame etc etc, not to mention the militant SS crowd looking at you funny!

seriously though, IF it were possible, you'd be looking at a complete groupset and new rear wheel as minimum.
To get a set to match the bike, you are probably looking at doubling the cost of the thing, and ending up with a machine that has little or no second hand value.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

edwin 04 Jul 07:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I draw the same conclusion as the previous writers. It doesn't make much sense.

If this is really necessary, I would try an internal gear hub, like SRAM i-Motion or a Shimanos Nexus.

But even this way, it's asking for trouble.

Edwin

youngpensioner 18 Jul 08:55  

Bike:

Many thanks for all your replies but i came to the same conclusion and sold the bike as it was.. I will now patiently look for a replacement over the next few months..

splits 16 Sep 02:38  

Bike:

My Profile
If you think SS riders are millitant you should deal with Fixed riders.

gavennymatt 07 Oct 06:54  

Bike:

Fixie riders are hard core.

GeorgeN012 15 Dec 11:11  

Bike:

My Profile
The innovation of the mattress machine has revolutionized the bedding industry, streamlining the manufacturing process and enhancing the quality of sleep worldwide. These advanced devices efficiently assemble and package mattresses with precision, employing cutting-edge technology to ensure optimal comfort and support for users. Just go now for the latest mattress. From seamlessly stitching together layers of materials to expertly compressing and rolling mattresses for convenient shipping, these machines embody efficiency and excellence in production. Their ability to craft high-quality mattresses at a faster pace has significantly met the escalating demand in the market, catering to a diverse array of preferences and needs. For anyone seeking a restful slumber, the mattress machine is the go-to solution, transforming raw materials into a comforting haven for sleep, ensuring a good night's rest for many.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.