We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

aldi cycling stuff

1 2 >
singlespeed 01 Oct 05:43  

Bike:

hi all just started back on the bike. seen that aldi are sell cycling kit ie jackets shoes ect.. are they any good? . seam to be cheap. is it wort me buying any.
cheers single speed norwich

rustyspoke 01 Oct 13:55  

Bike:

My Profile
It may be cheap but if its what you can afford then its ok.
Alot of cyling stuff now is so stupid on the price no wonder not many new ones are coming in to sport.
Please no one give all that crap about R/Development cost I work in engineering I know what it cost to produce things and alloy is cheap at present unlike cooper brass and steel which are expensive.

mr.mole 01 Oct 15:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought the hi-viz rain jacket. not used it yet but it looked alot like the night vision one i got free with cycling active last year. Ive had other stufff from them over the years and its always been good stuff.

maybe not the padded pants, once bought some and they were useless.

only other thing i bought this time round was a the flashing arm lights. But id use them mainly when running as my bike has lights and with the hi-viz jacket i think i should be seen now

STID 01 Oct 17:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Singlespeed, I have bought a lot of cycle clothing from Aldi and could not be happier with the price and quality. Cycle tops and leggings, gloves, compression tops and bottoms, hi-viz rain jacket, thermal bottoms and tops for winter cycling. The label is crane and I will be surprised if you are disappointed.

If you have an all sport store in your area check them out too.

I have not bought lights or locks as I would buy them from a cycle shop, but the clothes are great.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

thalbergmad 01 Oct 20:33  

Bike:

Some of the prices nowadays are absurd and I doubt if there is any significant difference in quality between items with a famous brand on and items without.

I have never tried Aldi, but I do shop in Decathalon which is great value for money.

Thal

soren 02 Oct 12:44  

Bike:

My Profile

Buy from Aldi, you wont be dissapointed.

weave 06 Oct 16:26  

Bike:

My Profile
hi agree with the last post the stuff they sell now is excellent and a fraction of the cost of your local bike shop go for it

My Latest Route: Oct 2011 Kiddy Bromsgrove tour

harrisman 06 Oct 17:08  

Bike:

My Profile
yeah i bought there jackets and padded trousers gloves and lights last year. cant fault there stuff and its a good price.

drinky45 08 Oct 14:04  

Bike:

My Profile
after all them replys i am off to buy some

My Latest Route: Oct 2011 Rishton to Witton Loop

stig_thedump 09 Oct 11:25  

Bike:

just joined and seen your post, to be honest buy them if they are still there !!

I spent over £100 last week on the winter gear,(one- two of each) seems extreme you may say but I do a 40 mile commute to work, all weathers, have done many 600 mile plus cycle rides for charities, and the gear holds up !! compare this to the price of a single pair of endura bib shorts with exactly the same padding same material but some flash colours, doesn't seem extreme now seems sensible.

Thing is, if your not doing the tour de france, leading Mark Cavendish out to the finnish line, you don't need flash expensive gear.... plus them Celeb riders get their "big name flash" kit for free any way.

Lidl get some good stuff in also, I got a maintenanc stand for £40 from there. same spec on ebay or (LBS) local bike shop is in excess of £100.

Was asked to join my local cycle club , I priced up their kit with the logo, was in excess of £800 for light weight jacket (gilet) bib shorts ,short sleeved top and winter pants. best is the club dont make any money on it endura do . Aldi wins in my view just wont wear the club kit ....

drinky45 09 Oct 12:22  

Bike:

My Profile
jUST BEEN AND BOUGHT SOME COMPRESSION VESTS AND TIGHTS ...EXCELLENT VALUE FOR A TENNER......THANK THE LORD FOR ALDI

harrisman 09 Oct 12:40  

Bike:

My Profile
i am new to cycling.can you tell me what the compression kits for?

drinky45 09 Oct 12:49  

Bike:

My Profile
fits very tight to the body,and for me it keeps the body warm and seems to help with muscle ache

boabd 09 Oct 13:15  

Bike:

I have just got into cycling at the age of 55. I bought £100 plus of the gear from Aldi and I'm really pleased with it. I even bought gloves although I already has a pair as they are of better quality then the ones I had bought from a well known dealer.
Lidl are also selling cycling gear this week.

txbnet 11 Oct 15:00  

Bike:

My Profile
By the time I got to Aldi (sounds like a song!) all the mens sizes were gone but I managed to get some bike lights for £4.99 which I'll use as spares, can't have enough lights this time of year. The lights were easy to fit and very bright. I also got some hi viz loops which velcro fit to your legs and or sleeves and also have a row of mini red LEDs. So if you need to be seen this winter, get yourself along, you'll get quite a bit of stuff and have change from £15.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

harrisman 13 Oct 15:26  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought a compression top and bottoms today from lidl. had them on for a 12 mile cycle and thay make you feel a lot better and keeps you warm. takes the sweat away from the body. good gear

andyh 18 Oct 20:58  

Bike:

i bought the gilet £ 4.99, you cant go wrong at that price

singlespeed 19 Oct 12:45  

Bike:

hi thanks to all for the words of wisdom off to aldi to stock up
save the money and put it to a new road bike.
cheers to all from single speed....

guitarpete247 23 Oct 15:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Also check out Lidl. I'm waiting for their winter gear to get some more bib tights.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

rook 28 Oct 20:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I agree with the above posts, i had a leaflet from Lidl through my door packed with cycle gear and i think its great value.
Its a shame that people dont always know that you can get cheaper cycle gear than whats advertised.
In some cases i think the cheaper stuff actually looks nicer too when it comes to clothing!

My Latest Route: Oct 2011 Worthing to Arundel

guitarpete247 30 Oct 15:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Went out for a ride today. I thought it was going to be a little chilly so put on my Aldi bib longs and one of their winter tops. Only did 12 miles but I was sweating. I think I could have got away with shorts today and keep longs for really cold rides. They are very warm indeed, I wish I had another pair but the last Aldi sale didn't have any near us only no-bibbed variety.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

getoutthere 02 Nov 17:13  

Bike:

Aldi and Lidl offer excellent value and decent technical specifications.
Both the cycling and the running gear is first class, I have used both for several years.
Only issue is that word is spreading FAST and there can be very limited availability within only days.£15 for a waterproof , breathable,functional jacket or £7-8 for running/cycling leggings just cannot be beaten.

guitarpete247 17 Nov 08:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Another good cheap source of clothing is Tenn Outdoors
http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/

Also available through Cycle Clothes
http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/

A few months back Cycle clothes were selling some gear off cheap as the unit next door had had a fire and they had some clothing that may have been smoked. Couldn't smell it myself but washed shorts anyway. Wished I had got more pairs but couldn't afford them at the time.

racecourse42 20 Nov 14:54  

Bike:

hi I bought a hi vis jacket from there last year, it was around 20quid, and it was very good, still wearing it, washed it a few times and its as good as new..:)

pathfinder2tri 24 Nov 07:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi singlespeed,
just read your post re the Aldi Kit, well 3 years ago I bought winter long sleve cycle jersey, I think it was then around £10, nice blue body ,black sleves and fluffy linedwith to good large rear pockets. Value for money I still use it now and it looks and feels as good as it did when bought. In comparison to my DHB long sleeve, which cost £30 there is quite a difference, the Aldi has more length in the body, the dhb pockets are rather small. But thats just me you decide whats good for you.

Paul.

My Latest Route: Oct 2012 Faversham, Chillham, Molash Return

flyby 25 Nov 02:26  

Bike:

i was in aldi yesterday as well and wonderd about their kit if any good,guess ill be paying them another vist then!

guitarpete247 25 Nov 12:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I find the Aldi clothing better than Lidl but for the price get either. Aldi is good quality and seems to be long lasting. You can sometimes be lucky and your size is in weeks after promotion. Other times it's gone by 8:30 on first day.

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.