We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Treating my myself ...

BusterG 01 Mar 11:56  

Bike:

My Profile
If i treat myself to new puncture resistant tyres for road bike and mountain bike, should I also be treating myself to an all singing all dancing hand pump? Or will it be a useless accessory if I got the tyre choice correct?
I am really asking myself "Can I justify the cost of a pump when I have just spent £££ "on the dogs" tyres?"
my 5 year old Zefal £2.50 stickpump is straining at the valves to get air into anything these days....
Thought provoking answers invited.

Happy Cycling!

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss
guitarpete247 01 Mar 13:12  

Bike:

My Profile
I have Schwalbe Marathons and Land Cruisers on my 2 bikes. Not been blessed by a visit from the fairy yet since I put these on but it is always at the back of my mind that I could have a dodgy valve or thorn could get through the side wall of my tyres so always carry spare tubes, Slime Skabs (Glueless Patches), levers and pump on all my rides.
I have track pump at home but wouldn't want to have to walk 10 miles back to use a pump. Plus puncture resistance does not last forever and if you don't keep checking your tyres before and after rides (before as you might have missed something being a little tired after) for bits of glass, flints, thorns etc. something could get through the Kevlar.
So yes go for a pump even a cheap one but hopefully one to get you at least 80% of pressure to get you home.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

skiad1 01 Mar 16:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Decent pump's worth its weight in gold. Blackburn used to(quite possibly still do) do lifetime warranties on their pumps so are easily worth the investment. I rebuilt my slimjim a few times over the years and thought we'd be together forever.......Until I discovered a lezyne pressure drive.....purrrrrr....now the blackburn's been heirloomed to my nephew & so it lives on(can't quite remember exactly how many years old it is now but I learned my 'crap pump' lesson during a tour in 2001 where, having got a flat near Drumnadrochit by Loch Ness, I struggled to get much pressure at all, though luckily, enough to get me to the garage forecourt, & its lovely compressed air machines, in Fort Augustus........First purchase thereafter.......slimjim! I don't know how many flats I get a year, don't really count but don't read that as countless flats! I do ride everywhere though(gave up car years ago now) & I guess my annual milage is reasonably high(10k last year) on pretty standard tyres, none with real puncture busting reputations. I used to ride supposed 'puncture proof' tyres but got flats with them too.......Quality pump, spare tube, patches/glue/sandpaper/pin/spare powerlink in wee puncture repair kit box(room for emergency money too), 2 tyre levers(in case one snaps, as one did a few Sundays ago) and a pair of disposable gloves, all held together with a rubber band(handy for slipping house keys in too). Makes for a smallish/lightish 'fit in yer tail pocket'(or affix under saddle) repair kit. Have used that set-up for many years now, and will continue to do so........

BusterG 02 Mar 07:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys. I got turned off the Blackburn Airstick 2 stroke as it is only availavle for presta valves.
I have 3 kids bikes and my wifes which arent presta valves so would need to take 2 on a family ride anyway.

I have gone for the dual action, dual valve option, maybe a bit cheap n cheerful of topeak mini morph. I felt the lezyne appeared too fiddly, just me though.

I also found marathon plus 700x25 tyres at £19.99 RRP £35.00.
Bargaintastic.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Pesmo 03 Mar 18:15  

Bike:

My Profile
I use Schwalbe or Continental puncture resistant 'plus' tyres on all three of my bikes. I haven't had a penetration related puncture now for about 4500 miles whereas before I used to get one every 2-3 weeks on the trails that I cycle. I do still carry a pump though as I have had two tube failures in the last two years, one where the vulcanising at the valve failed and the other where the plastic rim tape had hardend and punctured the tube..........Grrrrrr. Because I can be up to 25 miles from home on a ride I do still carry all the gear to get me out of trouble.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.