We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Punctures...

1 2 >
Discovery501 11 Oct 16:32  

Bike:

New to cycling, bought Dawes Discovery 501 in July, and am loving it and improving all the time. My problem of late has been punctures. I have had 4 punctures in a week, is this normal? I've had none prior to this week, is it the time of year for thorns? I've tried Vittoria which were awful and am now on Halfords own brand, one of which blew this morning. My wheels are 700C 25 AlexRims ACE18, tyres are Comodo as supplied when new.
I've checked and checked tyres and rims for sharp points, nothing.
My cycling buddy has a similar bike but 700C 30, and hasnt had one puncture yet.
Anyone any suggestions as to thicker tubes or tyres or tyre lining tape or anything? On the plus side I'm now very good ay changing tubes!

mattk 12 Oct 06:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

It certainly sounds like theres still something sharp (probably glass) in the tyre - maybe it's sunken into the rubber so you can't feel it. Have you tried repairing the tubes? The good thing with that is that you may be able to locate the puncture culprit easier.

Without taking the tube out of the tyre you'll need to pump the tube up - you should be able to hear/feel the air rushing out and see the hole. If you leave the tube in the tyre you'll be able to locate the sharp object opposite the puncture hole.

I've never used any tyre lining tape but would be interested to hear if anyone has...

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

steve52 23 Nov 13:37  

Bike:

i rub round the inside of the tyer with a wad of tissue it snags on anything sharp which you fingers and eyes often miss , you have to go both ways around the tyer as the tissue wont snag if its angled the wrong way

ArthurScrimshaw 24 Nov 14:28  

Bike:

My Profile
I would suggest investing in a pair of Specialized Armadillo tyres (they do different versions), I've just put a pair back on my mountain bike after trying to ride on the road/cycle tracks on Fastrak LK's and getting 12 punctures in 4 weeks. I used the Armadillos (Hemispere version)all last winter without a single flat. With 700c rims you might like the 'All Condition' version but they may not have enough grip in this weather. I've got All Condition Flak Jackets on my road bike (Flak Jacket is one step down from Armadillo in puncture protection) and haven't had any problems yet but it's early days. This reads like a Specialized ad - I'm sure there are other good tyre makers out there!

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Binsted to Whiteways and Bignor Hill Loop

globalfish 27 Nov 19:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Just go tubeless - it's the way forward. I run a Stan's No Tubes kit on my azure MTB.
Slime tubes, liners etc DO NOT work well enough and are stupidly heavy.

jon1973 04 Dec 16:47  

Bike:

i was getting 3 -4 punctures a week on my 20 mile a day commute to work ...got some puncture resistant tyres and tyre liners , and not had a puncture for over a month ( fingers crossed )

Martin 08 Dec 14:05  

Bike:

I've been using Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon Plus for a couple of years and in about 5000 miles I've had only 2 tube failures and both of these were caused by chafing of the tube for some reason and not punctures. they are simnply brilliant for regular road use though they do wear a little faster than I'd like.

Martin

soren 16 Apr 16:25  

Bike:

My Profile

Yep I second the above post, I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus on mine and never had a flat yet, on road and mild off road(tow paths and the like)

johnbobsquarepants 17 Apr 15:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I agree with arthur scrimshaw, I have had Specialized armadillos on both my hybrid and my road bike for two years now and not had one puncture at all! awesome tyres and nice and smooth on the road.

John

billflat12 17 Apr 16:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Try mr. tuffy tyre liner. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=19067&src=froogle

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Ellesmere Port Circular via Frodsham and Delamere

guitarpete247 22 Feb 07:55  

Bike:

My Profile
In my youth (too long ago to say) a mate and I cycled to Bridlington from Doncaster for night out. When we got to Howden he got a puncture which we repaired. Got a few yards down the road and another. Then another. 4 in total before we discovered the problem. Nothing in the tyre. The plastic rim tape in his new bike wheel was in upside down and was slicing into the inside of the tube.
Check the rim as well as the tyre for sharp spots.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

N Moore 30 Mar 17:38  

Bike:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are the way to go

sean8997 31 Mar 11:20  

Bike:

My Profile
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus also, touch wood, not had a puncture as of yet and been using them over a year now. I would also advise to talc your tube after repairing punctures as the tube can stick to the tyre and wheel causing punctures and always keep your tyres inflated to the recomended PSI.

Sean

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

txbnet 31 Mar 11:56  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm casting my vote on Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Very good tyre.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

Pesmo 02 Apr 07:47  

Bike:

My Profile
The Armadillo's, the Schwalbe Marathon plus or the Marathon plus tour are the way to go. I prefer the tour which has a more off road tread. Been using them for 2500 miles of tracks and trails in the last two years and not had a single puncture and no signs of wear yet. To say that I am delighted with them would be an understatement as I used to get 2 punctures a month. Some folks have trouble fitting them as they are a snug fit, so lay them against a radiator for a couple of hours before fitting

albion 18 Apr 16:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm a long time user of Marathon Plus but with a change of bike I wanted to keep the weight down.

So I'm now using Zefal tyre liners. They certainly help and seem to be a good compromise though I had some initial lined tyre punctures that remain a slight mystery.
Time will tell.
The plus is that cheaper tyres still get top class protection, and reusing the liner has to be more environmentally friendly.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

Martin48 01 May 03:17  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought my Trek 7100fx at the end of 2004 and still have the original Bontrager tyres which have remained remarkably puncture-free. Hope I am not tempting fate!

My Latest Route: Jul 2017 halstead route

winnersh cyclist 22 Sep 10:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I have armadillo all conditiosn 23c tyres on my Hybrid and Carbon not had a puncture yet aftera year however recently tried the Spez pro tyres they are so much smoother to ride on however have had one pucture already . The armadillos are a harser ride for sure

smithy800 23 Sep 10:20  

Bike:

try putting more air in the tyres buddy hard as you can get them

Pesmo 23 Sep 10:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Can I add another puncture resistant tyre to the list ? On my second bike I have fitted a set of Continental Country plus. They seem to use the same 'plus' puncture resisting technology as the Schwalbe tyres. In 1000 miles of tracks and trails since fitting I still have yet to have a puncture through a penetration of the tyre. Despite their name they don't have a particularly aggresive tread and I view them more of a general purpose tyre.

Incidentally I have had one puncture with them but that was where the tube failed, which was because my plastic rim tape had gone hard and it cut into the tube ! I have gone back to rubber rim tape.

pedaler2104 25 Sep 02:50  

Bike:

I had 6 punctures in 4 months for differing reasons so thanks to other contributors who advised me to buy Marathon Plus tyres. Put them on my GiantXR3roam yesterday and they feel great and look good. Some say they are a bit of a pain to put on and they are not wrong, but after a bit of sweat and cursing they were fine. Another couple of minutes was all. Fingers crossed for flat free rides.

singlespeed 26 Sep 14:00  

Bike:

try continental gator hardshells

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.