We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

BIke rebuild

sdwalker 26 Mar 13:22  

Bike:

My Profile
HI Peeps

need some advice on a bike rebuild

After totaling my beloved single speeder I am determind to get it running and back on the road again I have removed the old buckled wheels and the ben handlebars taken the stem out but can not get crank arms off and the bottom bracket. Is their any way I can do this without the special tool as I am on a budget and dont fancy buying it for a one time use or having LBS charge through the nose for such a simple job.

I ideally want to be able to keep the bottom bracket to reduce the amount of parts I need to buy (currently wheels x2, handle bars, bar tape, peddals new crank arm possibly drive chain front ring, spay paint and stripper and veriouse others to strip the bike of the currently ruined paint job)

Any help much appreciated

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route
guitarpete247 30 Mar 03:20  

Bike:

My Profile
It is possible if you remove the nut/bolt securing the crank and then work your way around from the bike side tapping gently with a rubber mallet. Try to tap as close to the axle as you can. Work your way around so as not to put any pressure in only one direction as this may cause the crank to be levered off rather than lifted off.
Personally I would invest in a crank remover. They are not too expensive. Here's one I found on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Crank-Wheel-Puller-Remover-Repair-Tool-UK-Seller-/390395933747?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item5ae5693433

It also incorporates the socket for removing/tightening the nut/bolt to get new crank back on. I have found that a standard socket often is too wide to get into the threaded recess in the crank to get to the bolt. You will also have to retighten the cranks (or at least check them for tightness) after a few miles. If you don't they can work loose and round off the BB axle.

All this assuming you have a square taper BB. If you have anything else get the right tool or bite the bullet/wallet and get to LBS.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

guitarpete247 30 Mar 03:32  

Bike:

My Profile
I meant to add. If you don't have a rubber mallet (or can't get to the crank arm easily) a piece of wood placed against the crank arm (again as near to the axle as you can get) and you can use a hammer now as the wood will remove the shock of the hammer. As you want to keep your BB you need to avoid brinelling the bearing surfaces
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling
This will result in you needing to replace not only the BB but the cups as well.
One more reason to invest in the correct tool.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

sdwalker 30 Mar 04:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the advice i think in this case a small amount on the right tool will be better than forking out for new BB as well thanks for posting the link :)

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

leelee 16 May 17:54  

Bike:

My Profile
13 mill socket for nut / bolt as for crank two chisils taped up t make a wedge put in one side of crank tap in as close to crank spindle as can then wen in two more chisles in other side good luck this is a hard job just borrow one from bike shop a crank remover that is then you can change it if you grt a better one
if its damaged and just needs removing just belt it with a scocet bar and hammer close to crank and go round in quaters till it flys off happy cyclin

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.