We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

ANOTHER NEW MEMBER

ade 16 Apr 17:53  

Bike:

My Profile
This is great site hope gets bigger,i have done quite a lot of the trans pennine trail on my trust old hard tail mountain bike.I got flashy full suspention model and did a 30 mile ride last year,and it wasn't fun big chunky tires slow you down.I looking into buying a racer,but some things telling me 16 stone on those rims don't mix.
So far i'm happy with my halford hardtail with not so chunky tires.

My Latest Route: May 2008 Yosimite Park To Oakhurst California
happy 16 Apr 18:02  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi Ade,

Glad to have you on board :D

Where do you cycle most frequently? Obviously the Pennine trail goes through Liverpool. Just wondering if you know any real good off road areas around Merseyside?

Cheers

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

ade 16 Apr 18:26  

Bike:

My Profile
I've not done the liverpool section,so far manchester to hull.
I live in south yorkshire,we invented mountain biking not the yanks.
Going down pit slag heaps(these were man made heaps of soil,the buy product of mining)on raleigh choppers and grifters.
A lot of hardcore mountain bikers go to wharcliffe woods,near sheffield.
http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/wharncliffe_woods.html

My Latest Route: May 2008 Yosimite Park To Oakhurst California

dudley 26 Jan 08:30  

Bike:

My Profile
16 stone on those rims do mix

trust me!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

iainj837 30 Jan 20:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I am new here to.
I have a Raleigh Pioneer Venture touring bike

My Latest Route: Feb 2009 The Meare Run

paul448 01 Feb 10:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Try a touring bike, i was 15st 8 when i started but now 12st 7.

I would reccomend a Thorn tourer, i get some miles out of mine and it is dead comfortable to ride.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Newport Loop

Cycling Brian 05 Feb 11:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Just found this site and it is great. I often cycle the Manchester to Liverpool section of the trans pennine using an old GT RTS2, full suspension alloy frame with semi slick tyres. Recently fitted a shorter handle bar stem to reduce to weight on my wrists. Great improvement. Have also done the trail on a Giant CFR Carbon race bike in summer when the trail is dry. Good well tensioned spokes with plenty of air in the tyres will support heavy weights without problems. Narrow tyres and high inflation pressures keep down the rolling resistance. Semi-slicks also give a more precise feel on tarmac than big soft knobblies. I was 14 stone but have lost nearly a stone since new year. No food after 9pm can be hard at times but it seems to be working, and summer being on its way means more time for cycling in the warm weather.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Manchester to Liverpool John Lennon Airport

skudupnorth 08 Feb 19:19  

Bike:

My Profile
I am planning a bit of a ride on the trail soon,will a hybrid on slicks be fine or will i need the mountain bike with bouncy tyres.Also booked the Manchester-Liverpool ride in May which uses the trail so it would be good to know what bike to use.

jumpexchange 28 Feb 16:42  

Bike:

Hi
I'm a newbie to the site and to cycling. Hadn't ridden for about 10 years until last year. Did some short rides along the cycle path with the kids last summer. Have recently got a new bike and started cycling a short part of my journey to work. Being a nearly 40 yr old lady who is wider than I used to be, it's been hard work so starting very slowly, but really enjoying it. I am terrified of cycling on roads though - which is going to prove a problem if I want to cycle any greater distance to work as there isn't a cycle track for most of the route.

Also, wondering how you experience people manage to cycle up long hills? I am seriously puffed after a couple of locks!!!

skudupnorth 28 Feb 17:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome Jumpexchange.Cycling on roads is just a nightmare mainly due to motorists not having any consideration on what it's like to be on two wheels and also the roads are getting in such a state that only off road bikes survive ! ( my poor hybrid is suffering) Hills get better as you ride more and more but i still suffer a tad if i have not eaten the right munchies before or during a ride.
Just keep at it and everything will get easier...even motorists (although i think it should be made law that they should add cycling as part of the driving test ! )

Cycling Dude 29 Apr 16:10  

Bike:

My Profile
cycling is my life since october 08 I have done ova 800 miles (I have gone through 3 speedos) I cycle everyday and I am training for a 60 mile ride to bamborugh castle in July!

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.