We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

A 62 year old Newbie

Aurum 18 Jun 17:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi everyone, it's so nice to find such a friendly and informative forum.

Like most of the more mature newbie cyclists the aim for me is to get fitter and loose some of this weight that has crept up on me over the years.

Six weeks ago I fought my way through the rubbish in my shed to retrieve my cycle. Mmmmmm, I'm afraid that 30 years at the bottom of the garden had did it no favours at all and all looked lost. So off to Halfords the next day to buy a Carrera Subway. A good buy as I got a hefty discount for ordering online first. I know it's a starter cycle but the 18" frame model suited me right down to the ground as I'm not that tall.

I must admit that road conditions are not the same for cyclist's as they were some 30 years ago, but I'm getting more confident at each outing and loving every minute. Best of all I know I'm getting fitter as each ride is getting that bit easier.

I found this forum today and was surprised at the many routes submitted. I'm looking very much forwards to try out some of the canal routes that are close by to where I live. Thank you to those who have submitted them.

Best regards
Aurum

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Cheslyn Hay to Coven Circular
splits 02 Jul 03:02  

Bike:

My Profile
What did you do with the old bike? Hopefully you didn't throw it away? I ride a 32 year old frame and forks everyday and have a 38 year old one in reserve.

cyclemouse 02 Jul 05:30  

Bike:

Hi Aurum

I really admire you.I am 46 and took up cycling again with a friend only a few weeks ago and didnt realise how unfit I was! In my teens had a Raleigh Misty 5 gear bike and used to travel all over. I can feel an improvement already in my stamina.

Regards

Jacquie

Aurum 02 Jul 07:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello Splits,

I'm afraid that like a complete fool I did dispose of my "Triumph Tour de France". Why? Because I had checked out my local bike shop for replacement tyres 27" x 1 1/8" and they told me they where no longer available.

Anyway, no one in the shop mentioned that a slightly over size 27 x 1 1/4" would do the job and so I decided that I needed a new cycle. So my trusty steed from the past was passed on to the local "rag and bone" lorry during the weekend.

I now know that was a silly thing to do... But..... you live and learn as they say.

Regards
Aurum

splits 02 Jul 08:03  

Bike:

My Profile
DUH! I have Schwalbe 27x1 1/4 tyres on my '72 Carlton, got them brand new off Ebay. It depends on who your local bike shop is as to how reliable thier info is. Theres quite a few options for old tyres about, SJS Cycles springs to mind too. With so many old racers or tourers being resurected there are lots of old/ NOS coming onto the market.

Aurum 02 Jul 08:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Jacqui,

Like you I have definitely found that I'm getting fitter and I'm loosing weight too (a good 6 lbs in as many weeks).

I'm up to a 16 mile route at the moment and can actually walk afterwards (the first time I tried thia route I could hardly get upstairs to the shower - much to the amusement of my wife).

In my younger days I was a keen marathon runner, but suffered as I got a little older with knee problems. Cycling has brought back into my life a great way of burning up some calories without hurting the knees and better still - I love it.

Regards
Aurum

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.