We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Route Help/Advice Needed - London to Paris

1 2 >
LukeW 07 Sep 06:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all,

Thanks for checking this post out, any help would be gratefully recieved!

Now I see that this is a frequent topic, but I'm trying to find out the best route to Paris from London. I leaving in a couple of weeks, solo and camping all the way.

I'm reletively fit, and have been cycling for a a few years, although 30-40 miles has been the most I've attempted in a day. However I'm sure I could squeeze lots more out my legs for this journey.

I'm wondering if it's best to go from Calais or Cherbourg. Although Cherbourg is Longer, would it be a more pleasant (flatter?) ride? I'm in no rush - I've got nine free days off work. I've booked my return Eurostar journey already, but holding off with the ferry booking until I work out the best route.

Does anyone know where I can find a good route book/online? Or anyone done a route recently and can ofer some info? I understand CTC have good routes on thier site but you have to be a member and I'm trying to keep my costs down.

I haven't attempted a multi-day cycle before and would really love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks all,

Luke

ElCampesino 07 Sep 08:02  

Bike:

Hi Luke

Try this one (it’s actually Paris London but all you have to do is reverse it).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Paris-London

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Paris-London-Part-2

http://www.voiesvertes.com/htm/detaille76diar_av1.htm

It uses the Newhaven – Dieppe ferry link and is, on the whole, pretty flat and quiet. The best bit is the Avenue Verte, a traffic free former railway line that starts just south of Dieppe (nice town by the way) and runs all the way (40+km) to Forges-les-Eaux. After that it’s quiet country lanes and, in Paris, minor roads and cycle tracks.

In England it follows the NCN most of the time and includes traffic-free sections such as the Cuckoo Trail and the Forest Way in East Sussex

The total is about 350km but as I said, most of it is relatively flat. And, from memory, about 40% is traffic-free.

Enjoy your trip,

EC

dudley 07 Sep 08:36  

Bike:

My Profile
350km being around 220 miles

If you are 'relatively fit' and the route is not too arduous, then this is relatively easy in 3 days - 75 miles a day. One day in the UK, and two in France.

So the choice becomes:

take it easy and see lots of places for an afternoon (40 miles a morning, then an afternoon to see the sights / try the wine)
(only 6 days on the bike)

or

push it a bit more, but have whole days off in fewer places.

either way, your nine days is enough to do the ride, the ferry, see the sights & enjoy a couple of days in Paris.

when i say 'relatively fit' i can achieve 100 miles a day for a few days on the trot if i put my mind to it, and i'm carrying a fair bit of 'relaxed muscle' into the bargain at just under (at last!) 16st.
It does leave me walking like i 'couldn't stop a pig in a passage' though.

enjoy, and good luck with the weather!

whatever you choose, plan for short days that you can extend in good weather, rather than long days that you are forced to shorten! Good Psychology!

my guess is you will get itchy feet, and want to do a good bit more than 40 miles in a day.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

LukeW 07 Sep 10:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Dudley and El,

Thanks VERY much for this. Perhaps, this being my first long-distance peddle, the shorter route would be a better idea and I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for that link, I don't know how I managed to miss it after hours and hours trawling through Google, bleary-eyed! it looks great and the disused railway sounds like a nice option.

I'm sure you're right about doing 40 miles a day Dudley. Although your 100 miles a day sounds painful. I might be able to manage that if I throw a tow rope around the axle of a passing lorry at Dieppe though. I've got nine days in total, but shortening the trip isn't a problem, I'd probably try this route over a gentler five days rather than three.

Thanks again. I'll certainly give an update on my return.

Any other thoughts out there?

mattk 07 Sep 10:26  

Bike:

My Profile
That route sounds really interesting - I might do something similar when I'm a little fitter!

I'm afraid all I've got to add is make sure you take plenty of energy bars and drink, and have a few high-carb meals a few days before you set off... this should give you enough energy to keep moving rather than stopping with exhaustion every 20 mins. Drink plenty even if you feel you dont need it.

Have a great time and let us all know how you get on!!

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

ElCampesino 07 Sep 10:32  

Bike:

Energy bars and drinks???

He's going to cycle in France!

The land of boulangeries, fresh baguettes, croissants, pain au resins and road side cafes. Btw, there are a few small cider makers, cheese makers (the local cheese is the heart-shaped Neufchatel) and calvados destillers just off the Avenue Verte. Nice.

LukeW 07 Sep 10:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Great advice Matt, I'll make sure I raid Sainsburys energy bar section before I head off. I've read a bit on Hydration too - I'll have to moderate the wine in the evenings.... well, maybe just a little bit.

Thanks again and I'll certainly update.

LukeW 07 Sep 10:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hehe El, sounds like I'll be coming home chubbier than when I left!

mattk 07 Sep 10:41  

Bike:

My Profile
You forgot to mention the vinyards he'll be passing through - have a few bottles and that'll soon extend your trip to 9 days - double the distance!!

ElCampesino 07 Sep 10:45  

Bike:

No vineyards in Normandy, I am afraid but lots of other things to keep one entertained.

You may gain a few grams but you'll have a lot of fun on the way.

I've done this trip a few times and found it always very enjoyable. You can do it easily in four to five days but if you spend a bit of time exploring the surrounding countryside, you can easily stretch it to a week or so without getting bored.

mattk 07 Sep 10:53  

Bike:

My Profile
From what El is saying it sounds fantastic Luke, shame there aren't any vinyards there but that doesn't mean there's no wine to taste in the evening!! Fresh croissant and pain au chocolat - that'll definately keep you going :)

LukeW 08 Sep 06:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Quick question El, do you recommend obtaining the relevent maps for this route, then cross referencing it with the map you linked, or is there another way of downloading/printing a useable map of the one you linked?

Cheers!

ElCampesino 08 Sep 08:55  

Bike:

Hi Luke

Do you mean the entire route from London to Paris?

You can download the Bikely file onto a GPS if you have one, if not, you'd have to buy an OS maps for the UK section and a couple of IGN maps (1:100,000) Paris/Rouen and Rouen/Abbeville (available online from www.mapsworldwide.com) and transpose the route from Bikely.

For the Paris section, it is helpful to check the satellite images of the route on Bikely and perhaps buy a Paris cycle map.

Cheers

ElCampesino 08 Sep 08:57  

Bike:

Ah yes, you can print off Bikely but you end up with dozens of A4 sheets. It might be useful for the last few (Paris) miles, though. Ideally the aerial images to make it easier to identify buildings, junctions, etc.

LukeW 08 Sep 09:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Great, thanks again for your help!

LukeW 29 Sep 15:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Dear all,

I got back a few days ago and I thought I'd let you know how I did! Firstly, thanks for all your help. I used the route supplied (most of the way) and it was great. The UK part was a joy and the journey into Paris using the Avenue Verte was brilliant. I ended up cycling for four full days (the last day was a quick shunt into the centre of Paris as I stayed in a campsite on the outskirts the night before). I spent one day relaxing, the day I took the ferry.

I'm really glad I decided to camp, it made it into a real adventure (and kept the costs down!). The weather, for the most part, was great. I even got an impromptu visit at my tent door from a wandering hedgehog in Seaford one evening. I have to say the two best things I packed were a tiny stove, tea bags and powdered milk. An excellent motivation to get up on the chilly mornings with stiff legs!

Route 21 of the cycle network to Polgate is excellent. It takes you through some beautiful Sussex countryside and the track is a pleasure to use. I decided to deviate off the route during the journey into Paris, and this was probably not a particularly clever plan. It's really tricky to work out which roads to use to take you in, unless you don't mind ending up on a motorway! I managed to blag it in the end - after asking about five people! But it was all part of the fun to be honest.

So, once again, thanks guys. I've got a real taste now. I'm thinking of trying to get down to Spain next year. Watch this space...

ElCampesino 30 Sep 05:44  

Bike:

Hi Luke

I am glad you enjoyed the trip. I remember the route well; getting some of it place and travel to France on a regular basis to sort out the Avenue Verte was even my job. Happy days.

I lived in Seaford for a while but can't remember the hedgehog :-)

Cheers,

EC

mattk 30 Sep 11:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Luke,

Sounds like you had a good adventure - thanks for letting us know how you got on! I'd like to do something like that next year...

patb 06 Apr 19:49  

Bike:

Hi Luke

I read all about your exploits and it seems the perfect route for us. Us being 6 aged Rotary types that had a good idea to raise a few thou to contribute to eradicate polio now, alzheimers and a few other charity projects we have on the go. We wondered what sort of surface was on the railway track swouth of Dieppe - one of our guys has an expensive road machine with narrow tyres and was a bit concerned it might be too much for the bike? Any advice on this matter would be gratefully received.

Regards

Patrick

LukeW 07 Apr 05:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Patrick

As far as I can remember the whole of the Paris side of the journey is on good solid pathways - mostly tarmac I think. The avenue Verte that starts a few miles out of Dieppe, which is the old railway, was smooth riding all the way and is a real joy to cycle - and would be no problem for a road bike. I generally followed the route but I did deviate onto roads now and again (French drivers are generally a lot more curtious to cyclists than I'm used to) - so I can't give an completely acurate answer for the exact route.

Probably the worst part for a road bike would be the British side of the journey - there were some areas on the route that were through little woodland tracks - however this was the exception. For the most part of the British side it's good going.

I used a hybrid road bike all the way and had no real problems (it's fairly sturdy though) - I had to get off the bike and push maybe twice to negociate some awkward paths (on the British leg) - for only very short distances. This was my first long distance tour and I didn't have any problems - it was a great journey through some beautiful countryside.

I hope that helps a little and isn't too vague - it's to the best of my memory and experience on my Hybrid.

I wish you the best of luck, especially with such a worthy cause. And if I can help or offer more advice please let me know!

cfisher 05 May 05:48  

Bike:

Do you remember where you stayed?
What did you do for food?
What kit did you carry?
How many people would you recomend in a group?
Is the route do-able with a pure road bike?

Me and some friends (aged 16) are considering doing this route in the summer.
We are mostly fit (in the way all teenagers are these days).

Any advice?

cfisher 05 May 13:13  

Bike:

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

JTeighty 04 Jun 10:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

I'm planning my own route to Paris and I am looking for the unused railway line which was mentioned in the second post by ElCampesino, but i cant find it. Does anyone have a name that i can find it under?

Thanks

JT80

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Hendon to Brighton via Redhill

JTeighty 04 Jun 10:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Cfisher look at london2paris.co.uk

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Hendon to Brighton via Redhill

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.