We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Looking at Converting a Barn For Cycling accommodation

joacra 18 Feb 07:10  

Bike:

I have Planning Permission and Building Warrant to Convert a Barn/ Byre on the Farm into Selfcatering accommodation, I would like to Offer accommodation for Cyclists. I am Putting in an Application for Grant Funding.
There are a Few Things From Cyclists I would like to Know.
Would Cyclists Use Accommodation within the Postal code area of ML10 6PR?
The Accommodation will self catering 3 bedrooms. What would cyclists be wlling to pay for Quality affordable accommodation?
What sort of Length of Stay would a cyclist Stay for 1 night, 2 Nights etc?
What would Cyclists Want out of Cycling accommodation, I would be Proposing to do an Eco Build eg wood Stove Fire.
I would like to know if Shower is Sufficient or after a long days Cycling Baths are more Preferable?
Would cyclists use accommodation all year round?
I would also like to hear from anyone who may offer this type of accommodation, I would also like to collaborate with others on a route to offer accommodation within a route.
Would there be a need for cycling accommodation in winter months?
All of the above answers will help decide if it would be viable to convert a barn into such accommodation and build a business plan which will help secure funding.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give me any answers.
Joan

Belstane 25 Feb 22:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

Just Google-mapped you - looks like a nice location and you're more or less in the right place for cycle tourists crossing the country and anybody visiting the Clyde valley area. You might get a few people staying a couple of nights if you map out a few circular routes such as Stra'ven, Douglas, Mauchline, Galston or Stra'ven, Galston Eaglesham; I used to cycle those routes many years ago when I lived at the west end of the A70 (now at the east end) and it's nice countryside. Best idea would be a small website of your own and linking it in to all of the Self-catering, B&B, camping/caravan link farms and review sites. My cousin has a small holiday cottage up the west coast - she has a very nice web site with loads of photos of the cottage inside and out and 'things to do, places to go, pubs etc' on it and she gets most weeks filled, even in winter - and mainly by southerners looking to get away from it all. Likewise a neighbouring farmer here on the Lang Whang who gets loads of city folk just looking for isolation - so your market isn't only cyclists by a long chalk.

Showers would be perfectly adequate but a washing machine might be an idea because cycle tourists' kit can ming a bit after several days. I reckon the emphasis has got to be on quality rather than low price - cyclists these days don't necessarily do it because they're skint - their bikes and kit usually total the best part of a grand and the days of youth-hostel roughing it are probably over. There's also a large contingent who tour in cars and cycle out of a location for a few days then move on - that would be me these days.

One thing you need to think about if you're after the panier-laden cyclists is food. If your place is a good bit from the shops then self catering for cyclists is tricky because you don't carry a full larder on your bike so having eggs, bacon, bread, cereals etc available might be a nice add-on. Most will book in advance so you can offer options.

You'll need to offer a lock-fast bike shed of some sort and maybe some modest service facilities - investing in a bike service stand and a decent pump would be nice touches - one thing I hate is getting road tyres up to 100psi with one of those silly little lightweight pumps if the gas runs out. Little extras like that would get the positive reviews coming in and cost very little in comparison to the cost of a barn conversion. Chain or nail everything down; sadly, some people steal.

Why not go a bit further and put in an extra toilet and shower, set aside half an acre for camping?

Actually, we've been thinking about doing a similar thing here - a couple of log cabins - so I'd be interested to hear how you get on. It's the midges that frighten me - they seem to disappoint the southerners more than anything.

Best of luck.

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 Kirknewton, Blinkbonny, Kirknewton

txbnet 26 Feb 04:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I came past this area on Lejog, staying nearby in New Lanark Youth Hostel which was very nice, converted mill and part of a World Heritage site. That day was cycled from Carlisle so I'm sure other end to enders would be travelling up the west side of England and would be looking for something a little different and short of Glasgow.

After a long day in the saddle it is lovely to have a hot bath, but I've never managed one yet on a long tour, showers are cleaner, easier and quicker and more eco-friendly, so I wouldn't worry too much about a team bath!

If you are a long way from shops it would help if you were to stock a little shop of your own with pasta, tuna, bread milk and tea/coffee those sorts of things may go down well as the previous correspondent said cyclists can't carry a lot to eat on their tours. I recall arriving at Loch Ness YH having done 98 miles that day, and I was ten miles away from any food. The lovely couple running the base had some items for sale - pasta, corned beef and a tin of tomato so that was that nights meal all in the same dish!

I guess one night stays might be the norm as cyclists are usually coming from somewhere and going to somewhere. Unless you could give them a good reason for using it as a base? Maybe talk to the local cyclists about favoured cycle tracks in your area and build up a little programme of events to encourage people to come and stay a few nights and take in a few circular routes from your base.

Good luck with this project.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

bikegrrl 05 Mar 07:03  

Bike:

I would second the comments about cyclists staying if you are on a good route/ several good routes.

Personally I would prob be staying one night unless you were marketing cycle short breaks as such. As everyone says, self catering can be tricky when cycling, you could think about providing breakfasts or the makings of tea/coffee.

You haven't said if the bedrooms would be independent or whether someone booking the accommodation would have to book all 3 bedrooms.

What I would be looking for in cycling accommodation:

being on a good route/ routes;
a shower;
good heating (I wouldn't like to have to fire up a stove for myself on arrival although I wouldn't mind feeding it while I was there - you will have to be careful with safety though, and watch your wood supply - we have a woodburner at home and guests do sometimes over-feed!);
drying facilities for waterproofs/ wet clothes/ shoes;
clothes-washing facilties would be something I would want if staying more than a couple of nights;
a towel might be useful!
good security both in the house - especialy if sharing with strangers - and for the bikes;
maybe a stand and a hose for washing the bikes?
info about the area: routes, shops, restaurants;
you could make a feature out of its eco-friendliness - having recycling arrangements for example;
books for the evenings.

Also it may be a minority interest, but I have found it difficult to get good facilities when cycling as a family. Maybe think about having some flexibility (e.g. stowaway beds) so you can accommodate families with children who they don't want to go in a separate room.

As to payment - if self-catering I would expect to pay up to £50 for a room for family of 4, one night. If I was travelling alone, £20 for one night. Would depend on standard of accommodation. I am soon taking a 5-day walking trip elsewhere in Scotland and the going rate B&B seems to be £100 for a room for 4. Which isn't an unfair price but to be honest is a bit off-putting for me!

molly070772 01 Nov 07:47  

Bike:

hi - I am wondering -are there any cyclists - mountain or road bike users that go to spain - if so please let me know your thoughts on these questions...we are looking to buy out there and wish to offer some form of accomodation to riders - we are thinking anything from camping pods to log cabins - would you use them - would you stay for more than one night - what facilities/offerings would you want - would you want to be fed - or just breakfast - do you like the idea of pods or do you all want your own bathrooms or will high quality shower blocks be ok-

do you want to be driven anywhere? Do you want a bike technician on site?

WHAT DO YOU WANT and what would you pay?

thanks so much

veritytodaynews 16 Feb 23:31  

Bike:

My Profile
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today?
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today
verity news today

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.