We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

3 week cycling trip

silee 23 Apr 03:44  

Bike:

Hi there,

I am planning a three-week cycling trip in Scotland. So far I planned something along these lines:

Glasgow to Tarbert
Tarbert to Oban
Ferry - Oban to Barra
Cycle Barra
Ferry to Lochboidale
Cycle South to North Uist
Ferry to Skye (Uig)
Cycle Skye circular route back to Uig
Ferry to Harris
Cycle to Stornoway
Ferry to Ullapool
Cycle to Inverness
Catch bus back to Glasgow

As I have been trying to search out good cycling routes I'm finding myself getting overwhelmed with information, but came across this great site and would love any feedback or suggestions! Would these be interesting places to check out? Any better suggestions for a 3-week cycle? I was thinking on average to do 50-60 miles/day with some rest days scattered in between. I am happy with a mix bag of hills and flattish rides, looking for pretty scenery, scotch, some historical sites, hostels, and trying to avoid busy roads.

Thanks for any suggestions!

dudley 24 Apr 03:44  

Bike:

My Profile
you've got a got of ferry rides in there!

stunning scenery in that little lot. Mull might be worth a cycle whilst you're in Oban?

you have a mixed bag of hills in there, certainly!

50-60 miles a day, with rest days is a comfortable pace. It is possible to do plenty more, and you might, but this allows for weather and stopping to see things.

A cycle round the Applecross peninsula is a good one - and could include a trip over the Bealach Na Ba or pass of the catle (six miles straight uphill!)

you are not going to be disappointed by any of your route, and there are dozens of routes available. with all that in and out to the islands. Most of the roads are quiet too.

One other option, instead of going out to the islands, back again, out again etc....
is to go from Oban to Barra by fery, then cycle all the way up to Stornaway ferry hopping, then from Ullapool all the way South again on the mainland, hopping onto Skye and then Mull on the return journey to Oban.
....Or the other way round.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

silee 24 Apr 16:59  

Bike:

Hi Dudley,

Thanks so much for your reply! I checked out information on the Applecross Peninsula and also your suggestions about the Isle of Mull and adding Skye at the end. I am going to revise as follows:

Glasgow to Tarbert
Tarbert to Oban
Ferry - Oban to Isle of Mull
Ferry to Barra
Cycle Barra
Ferry to Lochboidale
Cycle South to North Uist
Ferry to Harris
Cycle to Stornoway
Ferry to Ullapool
Cycle towards Kyle of Lochalsh including Applecross Peninsula
Go to Skye
Catch bus back to Glasgow

Nice to decrease time on the ferry and the Applecross Peninsula sounds spectacular.

I had decided to cycle from South to North on the Islands as I had read that the winds might be a bit kinder, do you think that will make any difference?

Also, I understand there are likely to be alot of midges (I'm planning the month of July). Are they quite bad do you know?

I really appreciate your response!

Thanks!

dudley 25 Apr 04:33  

Bike:

My Profile
July midges can be a bit nasty, yes! keep moving!
depends on whether you are B&Bing or camping too.
you could also pickle yourself with a nice Malt.

the prevailing wind is a SOuth Westerly, so yes, it should be better heading North in the most exposed areas.
Clearly there is no guarantee on that though!!

silee 25 Apr 13:33  

Bike:

Thank you :)

ronmac 26 Apr 07:38  

Bike:

My Profile
I think to put a bicycle on a bus you need to put it in a bike bag. This would be a heavy item to carry on your travels. May be better to use a train. Fares can be quite cheap if booked in advance.
Better still why not give Inverness a miss and just cycle from Ullapool back to Glasgow via Fort William and Glencoe etc...though having said that you may have had enough by the time you get to Ullapool so you could get train from Fort William to Glasgow. All the best. Ron.

Jitka 26 Apr 17:35  

Bike:

Hi Silee,

Great plan you have there! You will love it! I have done more or less most of your route myself and hugely enjoyed. Little black "beasts" are real pain but don't give in...:) I just returned from 5 weeks long work stay in Outer Hebrides where I had to cycle every day. ...

What about Glasgow to Oban (train, bike for free), Cycle around Oban as stunning views, though some tough hills...then ferry to Barra..cycle around including sound of Barra, the end route! Great views!! then what about ferry from Barra to Eriskay instead? (smaller, but quicker plus you can get to see Delphins) and you get to cycle along long causeway from end of Eriskay which is beautifull, through Daliburgh to north. If you give a miss to Lochboisdale, its ok :) its only one long street with few shops but it has a hotel with a bar....there aren't many around so perhaps worth of popping for a drink.
You could do little loop via Boisdale or stay on the main road but if you can, Take it towards Locheynort off the main route, to the right nearest the highest hill in South Uist (don't worry you will clearly see it). Its dead end but amazing ride...summer full of seals.
Back on main road and straight, once you get to Benbecula, I suggest you take it left via Lionacleit as the route is nicer ( I cycled it daily :) There is another hotel in Lionacleit and a Shop, bank and hospital in Balivanich, otherwise nothing. Cycle via Bayhead and Sollas is reasonable. If you lucky and air is crystal clear, you might see silhouette of St. Kilda from a road between Bayhead and Sollas. Also little isle of Berneray is quite nice to visit.
Whilst there great hostel is in Barra, right in village Castlebay. 13£/head/night, take a cycle to local airport as it's worth of watching little planes taking off the beach runway:) Next hostel is rustic cottage in Howmore on South Uist, Bank house near Clachan, north Uist and a hostel in Berneray. Not sure about Lochmanddy.
Sky I haven't cycled but hiked.
When back on Harris, take a route to Rhenigidale village (there is another hostel) the views will really get you and the hills even more. Its a killer!! Once back on main route, take it to Callanish stones and then further to Garenin black house village. It's stunning! Stay in great hostel in Garenin village and cycle back to main route and all the way to Stornoway. :)) Ullalpool area I haven't done yet :) but when you back post something on!
Also check www.xcweather.co.uk for great up dates on weather and wind strengths plus direction, also www.gatliff.org.uk for great, cheap hostel whilst on Hebrides. I used all of them and they all perfect in great locations!! Oh, some local bus drivers would take your bike on when not busy but don't count on it. The general rule is that bike has to be in a bag...
Hope you find it useful and have great trip. I would go right back if I could...but I am hoping to do Cornwall/Devon this summer.

All the best.:))

silee 26 Apr 18:02  

Bike:

Hi Jitka

Thank you so much for all that great info!!! I'm feeling more and more anticipation the more I'm learning! Your suggestions are so helpful in getting more detail in my plans.

More revisions to my trip plan ahead! Its so great to hear your experiences from actually being in these places as right now its all just words in a book to me :)

I will be sure to keep notes on my journey to post here when I'm done.

I appreciate your help!

Kind regards!

Jitka 27 Apr 14:46  

Bike:

Silee, no problem :)) I am glad if it helps :) It's a great part of the world. Enjoy!! J

Solweb 01 May 06:23  

Bike:

My Profile
What an excellant trip !
Reading through the posts, I see you are going to get the ferry from Oban over to Mull.
One fantastic route that I have done myself on Mull is the Southern loop.
From Craignure, go clockwise past Torasay Castle on the A849 for about 20 miles, then take the quiet B8035 road past Balnahard.
It has a slight uphill incline but not that bad, but just after Balnahard you have miles of fantastic downhill cycling on a route that is probably my favourite in all the cycles I have done. It winds past Loch na Keal and it is absolutely superb scenery. Continue to Salen then have an easy 11 miles back to Craignure... you won't be dissapointed.

silee 01 May 13:28  

Bike:

Hi Solweb,

That sounds like a great cycle! Thanks so much for posting! Slowly, but surely, my trip plan is taking shape!

Cheers!

Solweb 02 May 05:03  

Bike:

My Profile
You're welcome Silee.
The more information you have from people who have done parts of the trip themselves then the better.
Just another thought, if you finish up in Inverness, but are hungry for more, then you could cycle back to Glasgow ...
I have cycled the other way - i.e. from Glasgow to Inverness on a mountain bike over 4 days and it was absolutely superb. It's Sustrans National Route 7 and is all either off road tracks or quiet roads.
Just a thought, as you may have had enough by then, but it's a very good route.
Enjoy your trip.

silee 04 May 00:30  

Bike:

Thanks!

Great to know as I was a bit unsure of what that section between Glasgow and Inverness would be like!

Jitka 28 Aug 07:07  

Bike:

Hi Silee,

just wondered if you done the trip already or not and how did it go??

Have fun!

J.

silee 13 Sep 15:26  

Bike:

Hi there,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I did a bit of an overview of my trip. I had lots and lots of crazy wind and rain - but it was balanced out by the sensational scenery!

Day 1
Cycle Glasgow to Tarbet; train from Tarbet to Oban
Stayed at a hostel in Oban (YHA, don’t recommend it)
Cycle Distance: 70 km
Description: Lovely cycle on Sustran cycle path #7. Very flat.

Day 2
Ferry from Oban to Mull; cycled a loop around part of Mull
Camped at the Mull Campsite – great campsite and facilities
Cycle Distance: 80 km
Description: very windy day, took effort cycling downhill ;). Beautiful coastal scenery, rolling hills

Day 3
Ferry from Mull to Oban and Oban to Barra
Stayed at Dunard Hostel – nice relaxed atmosphere
Cycle Distance: 30 Km
Description: cycled around the island, went to see planes land at the beach landing strip. Pretty windy, but lovely scenery.

Day 4
Ferry to Eriskay; cycle to Liniclate Campground (campground was ok, nothing special, but short walk from some lovely sand dunes)
Cycle Distance: 61 km
Description: very rainy, less wind, flat ride

Day 5
Cycle Liniclate to Bernary Hostel – tented at this hostel, beautiful setting!!
Cycle Distance: 60 km
Description: nice day, pretty flat ride

Day 6
Bernary to Lickisto Campground on Harris
Tented at Lickisto, great campground with a refurbished Blackhouse as a fantastic common room – the campsite owners bring down fresh bread every day - highly recommend
Cycle Distance: 30 km
Description: rainy, not too windy, rolling hills

Day 7
Cycled to one of the beaches and to Tarbert
Cycle Distance: 40 km
Description: a bit hilly

Day 8
Cycle Lickisto to Stornoway
Tented at Laxdale Holiday Park – ok accommodations, but very busy as it was the Celtic Music Festival
Cycle Distance: 70 km
Description: big hill out of Tarbert. Hilly in places for this ride

Day 9
Rest day – bus tour of standing stones of Callanish, Blackhouses
Rain rain rain – so much rain I changed my original plan of cycling back down the West Coast of the mainland and decided to take a bus that would take bicycles to Inverness

Day 10
Ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool, bus to Inverness
Stayed at the Inverness Milburn Hostel to dry out my gear

Day 11
Cycled around Inverness to Culloden and some Cairns (Sustran Path #7)
Cycle Distance: 25 Km

Day 12
Train from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh; cycle from Kyle of Lochalsh to Armadale on Sleat; Ferry to Mallaig; Train to Fort William
Cycle Distance: 40 Km
Description: lovely cycle fairly flat with some sections of rolling hills; had been planning to stay in Mallaig, but there was not room at the hostel so hopped on the train and continued to Fort Williams, decided to stay in a B & B for a couple of nights.

Day 13
Rest day, walked to Ben Nevis Distillery for a tour

Day 14
Train from Fort William to Tulloch; cycle from Tulloch to Dalwhinnie to Pitlochry (Dalwhinne to Pitlochry Sustrans Path #7)
Stayed in hostel
Cycling Distance: 95km
Description: through Cairngorms National Part things were a bit dodgy with no shoulder, got run off the road once. From Dalwhinnie to Pitlochry, lovely, lovely ride!

Day 15
Rest day, moved to campground 5 minute ride outside of town.

Day 16
Rest day

Day 17
Train from Pitlochry to Edinburgh
Stayed at Edinburgh Metro Hostel
Day 18
Rest Day, walked around hiked up to Arthur’s Seat

Day 19
Cycle from Edinburgh to Peebles to attend a wedding
Distance: 30 km
Description: rolling hills

Day 20
Rest Day

Day 21
Cycle from Peebles to Carluke; train from Carluke to Glasgow
Cycle Distance: 58 Km
Description: beautiful ride through the Borders!

:) Looking forward to my next cycle adventure!

dudley 14 Sep 03:07  

Bike:

My Profile
glad the rain didn't put you off!
Sounds like a great trip, even if it wasn't your original route

sherpamark 05 Jul 07:57  

Bike:

Hi Yeah sounds good,however,you are missing out two of the nicest little islands on the outer Hebrides called Eriskay,famous for Whisky Galore and Berneray,Prince Charles's favorite Island in the UK.

sherpamark 05 Jul 08:09  

Bike:

Why come off outer Hebrides to go to Skye?,then go back on later on?why not stay on from Barra,then ferry to eriskay/south uist/benbecula/north uist/berneray,then get ferry to harris/lewis,then get ferry to skye,makes better sense than travelling for hours on unnecessary ferries.

sherpamark 05 Jul 08:09  

Bike:

Why come off outer Hebrides to go to Skye?,then go back on later on?why not stay on from Barra,then ferry to eriskay/south uist/benbecula/north uist/berneray,then get ferry to harris/lewis,then get ferry to skye,makes better sense than travelling for hours on unnecessary ferries.

Jitka 28 Feb 04:15  

Bike:

Silee,

I only just read how your trip went, back in 2010! Sounds fantastic! Great that you enjoyed, despite the challenging weather.

I have not used this forum for some time as work and recovery from an injury took hold of my full attention but hoping to return to cycling once again this year!

Taking it slowly though....starting with Wiltshire next week.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.