We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Sticky thread Who's Got What Bike?

1 2 3 > >>
mattk 08 Apr 04:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I thought it may be a good idea to see which bike set-ups members have...

I have an '08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc - I added CB Eggbeaters (SL's) and a few scratches due to taking a crash course in how to fly a bike! :-)

Other than that it's standard at the moment...

I'm really impessed with the bike tho - very light compared to bikes I'm used to, I've never had hydraulic disc brakes before either - take a bit of getting used to... over the bars a few times at first.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN
nicola 08 Apr 05:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi matt,

I've been browsing the cycle route forum for a while now and kept wondering what bikes people had. I've just bought a Felt Q5 Ladies bike on saturday but not had chance to ride it yet - hopefully at the weekend! I've not had disc brakes before either to a little apprehensive now you mentioned it.

mattk 08 Apr 05:48  

Bike:

My Profile
Same here - I guess we're just nosey!!

I wouldn't worry about the disc brakes... just try not to put the brakes on hard and fast as you would with v-brakes - try to apply them slower and you certainly don't need as much pressure!

Let us know how you get on at the weekend...

nicola 08 Apr 05:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the advise!

I'll have to search the site for a route to use.

happy 08 Apr 12:04  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
As you can see from the profile I've been riding an Orange P7 for many years now and it's never let me down. I did buy a second hand full suspension Trek Y Series as well. It's been fairly solid, although it does weight quite a bit, the Manitou forks don't help.

The most recent thing I bought for my bike though was a new water bottle :(

mattk are the egg beaters good? always read good reviews about them but never known anyone who had them.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

mattk 08 Apr 12:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Happy,

I've had the since before xmas, they were fairly hard to get used to for me but that may be because I was used to standard pedals before. They haven't got much of a base to put pressure on when your feet aren't clipped in, but TBH now I've got used to them - they're great... they look fab and they're unbelievably strong considering all the pressure is going through what is effectively a clothes peg (a good looking one though)!

mattk 08 Apr 12:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Happy, I'm guessing you're happy with your Orange? I had my eye on one when I was looking for my specialized... it was a very close contender but the one I got had better components for the money.

mattk 17 Apr 09:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Come on guys,

I'm fairly certain people who use this site do own or use bikes? I just though it would be a good idea for people new to cycling to have a source of finding tried and tested setups that cyclists are pleased with... then they gain a little more knowledge before they make a decision to what bike they want to spend money on.

I found it quite a tough decision when looking for a bike last year because there are so many to choose from and if you don't have an idea of which components do what you may as well pick a bike purely for aesthetics... which can more often than not lead to you taking home a bike you're not going to be happy with - as a result, they're probably not going to ride it as much.

Bigginger 17 Apr 11:27  

Bike:

My Profile
I have a Mongoose Tyex Super with Hydraulic Disk Brakes, I am a 21Stone fatty but the disc brakes have no trouble stopping me. I think Disc brakes are great I used to find that if I wanted to stop the bike to tackle a technical bit my old V Brakes would slip but not these they lock solid. Once you are used to them they give you great control. The bike has suspension forks that you can lock via a handle bar switch, this is great when you want to lock out for climbing and then release for the downhill.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Leigh on Sea Loop via Canvey Island

happy 17 Apr 11:38  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
@Bigginger

Handlebar switch for locking out your forks, sounds pretty neat! What forks do you have on the bike?

happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

tonythegreek 17 Apr 12:25  

Bike:

My Profile
hi guys
where do i start
i have got a saracen jet mountain bike along with a cannondale m600,
specialized rockhopper pro and a peugeot comete racing bike (can anybody remember them)with upto date mods
then the wife has a mountain bike aswell
cannot get into the garage for bike bits SO THE WIFE TELLS ME

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

mattk 17 Apr 12:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Suspension lockout via your handlebars - thats a cool idea! Mine just has the standard lockout.

Is the Mongoose reasonably light (to throw over gates)? Thats a good aspect of mine - the frame is pretty light aluminium - gotta sort my discs out (standard Avid Juicy Hydraulic Discs) but they have great stopping power.

mattk 17 Apr 12:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey tony,

Nice - serious cyclist then?

How do you find your rockhopper pro - I was tempted with the pro myself but it was a few hundred quid more...

Are you impessed with the other two bikes too?

tonythegreek 17 Apr 12:35  

Bike:

My Profile
i love the pro apart from the wheels especially the rear knock it out of true every time i go out (shop says it must be you not the wheel)
i have also got the nifty lever for to lock out the suspension
xtr rear mech as the other got ripped off when i hit a tree stump
this is the second one i have had as my son snapped the frame on the first one three days old manufacturers fault that on PHEW

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 New Hartley Circular via Seaton Burn

Bigginger 17 Apr 14:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Happy

The forks are Suntour SR XCR's Oli one side and Spring the other

Mattx

Yikes! the bike ways 32lbs, that makes it a tractor doesn't it?

Regards

Bigginger

mattk 17 Apr 15:03  

Bike:

My Profile
My specialized is 28lbs so its not too bad! Being a Mongoose I'm sure the build quality is fantastic.

Bigginger 17 Apr 15:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Matt

It is solid and it needs to be, I am heavy, when my 300lb hits a dip my bike knows about it. I need tp concentrate on loosing weight befor I start worrying about how heavy my bike is. I have no trouble chucking over fences or gates though.

skudupnorth 18 Apr 05:25  

Bike:

My Profile
08 Rockhopper for me too and a Specialized Sirrus Elite for the road and work commute.Both brilliant at what they do but getting fed up with dodging pot-holes on those nice slim 700C wheels !!!!

mrcoke 20 Apr 18:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,
I just bought my first road bike for years Giant defy 2.5-I even bought some clip in shoes and lycra. Yet I still use my old kona fire mountain to commute -my racer can do the miles but it can't carry the shopping.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Hainford Circular via Norwich

nicky_7751 21 Apr 08:03  

Bike:

Focus Culebro 2008. Just fitted SPD-SL pedals which I am getting used to slowly!!

mattk 21 Apr 08:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Lol, I'm finding my SPD pedals quite hard to get used to... great looking pedals but every time I think I've mastered them I fall off again! Luckily it's when I've stopped or near enough stopped so not travelling at speed. I think I'm panicking when my foot hasn't got freedom instead of taking my foot out in advance.

nicky_7751 21 Apr 09:46  

Bike:

Seems to be a mental block with me....fallen off a couple of times, always when stopped having unclipped 1 foot then gone to put the other down and once you start you just topple over!!!! Only bruised ego luckily but do feel a right plonker lol

mattk 21 Apr 09:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah sounds familiar! The first fall was when I went to rest my left foot on a wall and didn't release my right foot - lost my balance and couldn't release in time... must have looked a right lemon!

ShrewsAde 23 Apr 07:29  

Bike:

Gary Fisher - Kaitai Hybrid - picking it up in an hour!

BOOMER 23 Apr 07:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Im relatively new to the whole cycling experience, just getting into over the last few years.

Did originally start on a muddy fox glide road bike i upgraded to tiagra compact chainset / gears.

Just bought a Trek 1.2 road bike which i love. This is a triple chainset which i love. Brilliant for the hills around the ribble valley (which i was struggling on with my muddy fox)

Its an intro level bike in the Trek range but in a year or two i expect to invest in a more expensive model.

Its all Good :-)

My Latest Route: Aug 2008 Rishton to Billington

stuartkendall 23 Apr 16:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Gary fisher hifi here 27Lbs of responsive XC fun. Alright so i snapped a chainstay at xmas :) Also have a Kona Blast hardtail for either the road or messing about in the woods.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 St Mellons to Coed Coesau and Draethen Loop

merveilleusmark 28 Apr 04:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Not many road-riders on this site then. I prefer the road bikes...I think it might be the lycra! I have a Cannondale CAAD5 at the moment. I do have a Cannondale Road Warrior Hybrib which I use for commutes and shopping and I have a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper which is just for fun - new wheels and rear mech fitted recently otherwise it has lasted well for what I have put it through!

My Latest Route: May 2009 Hailsham to Seaford via Ditchling Beacon

mattk 28 Apr 04:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mark,
Good to hear your Rockhopper's survived a pasting! It seems there are a few Rockhopper owners on here so I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that too!

I tend to cover my lycra with normal overshorts to save the embarrassment - but I guess some just love the stuff!

Cycling Dude 29 Apr 16:07  

Bike:

My Profile
I have teo bikes both Trax,
Trax Xcellerate and fearless.
Both good bikes, I do alot of cycling, I have my own group and I cycle everyday! They never go wrong!

Disc brakes don't build up as much resistance as V brakes, thats why you get a stronger pull!

Also, it's hard to get them dirty, my advice to you is to keep sticking at it and you will get used to them!
Good luck

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

avcon 02 May 13:26  

Bike:

I have 2 bikes. The classic roadie and the stunning trackie:

ROAD - Eddie McGrath Everest - Shimano components, Eddie McGrath stem/handlebars, Bontrager Seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Shimano spds, Mavic wheelset, Conti GP 4 Season tyres

TRACK - Surosa Pista. Mieche components, Cinelli stem/handlebars, Alpina forks & seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Look Keo Sprint pedals, Surosa handbuilt wheels, Vredestein tyres

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.