We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

South france

Xbar 13 Jul 19:31  

Bike:

Has anyone cycled the along the Midi canal in france, either part of, or the full length From Toulouse to Sete on the med ! I spent 5days wild camping on this canal near Beziers last year and seriously giving thought to cycling length of canal as by all counts its a beautifull canal ( what i saw def' was ) i'm trying to get as much info as pos' , don't know yet wether to pr-book accomodation along the way or light camping gear n enjoy the best nature can offer, will ferry n drive as usual to through france this time tho' rack/ bike, any info greatfully appreciated - Col

Colin Wilson 16 Jul 18:02  

Bike:

Myself and my wife cycled from Toulouse to Agde 2 years ago. There is now a cycle track from Agde to Sète (15mls). We took the train to Toulouse and cycled to the start at Le Pont Jumeaux 3 miles in the opposite direction then took 4 days with three overnights to Agde. The overnights were about 80 euros each. That was planning and booking in advance. The only unbooked stop we almost did not find somewhere for the night and then they did not accept visa. Luckily I had 90 euros cash, which was just enough. I would advise to book ahead. Almost all cafés have free wi-fi and it can be done as you progress. We did not take in Narbonne, but having been there a few weeks ago it is worth a visit. There were some bikes with single wheel trailers carrying camping gear, which seemed a good idea if camping. The single wheel worked well considering there were stretches which were heavily rutted. Another consideration is the weather. July and certainly August can be very hot. We went in June and it was Ok. Best of luck!

CW

jonsea 17 Jul 05:50  

Bike:

My Profile
A group of 5 of us cycled the canal du midi in 2010 from, as colin stated , from Le Pont Jumeaux near Toulouse to Agde .

We drove to Pont Jumeaux , parked one car ( we went in 1 car and 1 van )at the hotel Formule 1 which is on the canal side about 5 klms from the start , then 2 of us drove to Beziers and parked our van( and stayed the night ) at the Formule 1 Hotel Beziers and in the morning caught the train back to Toulouse to start the cycle ride . 4 days later we drove back to the first hotel ( who let us park for free ) and picked up the first car .

Look here for prices .....
http://www.hotelf1.com/gb/home/index.shtml

You should really apply for permission to cycle the Canal Du Midi from the V N F several weeks before you go .
Monsieur l'ingenieur du canal
Voies Navigable de France
8,Port St Etienne
31079 Toulouse Cedex 5 .
Just a simple letter to ask permission " D'Emprunter les chemins de halage " between the dates you wish . I dont know what happens if you are stopped and you dont have the permit. The permit is free and you will also get a map of the canal ,with water and toilet points marked .

Regards.....John

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

jonsea 17 Jul 06:03  

Bike:

My Profile
For Xbar and anyone else who wishes to cycle le Canal Du Midi here is a draft letter for the permit i have mentioned in the last post.

Monsieur L'ingenieur
Je projette de decouvrir le Canal Du Midi en velo en partant de Toulouse pour arriver a Agde . Je souhaiterai commencer mon voyage le ( date ) por arriver le (date ). Je sollicite votre autorisation d'emprunter de halage qui bordent ledit canal dont vous assurz la gestion .

Je vous prie de recevoir, monsieur l'ingenieur, l'expression de mes salutations les plus cordiale .

.....Signed ...

Hope this is of some help

Regards... John

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.