We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Newbie advice on bikes

singasongNatasha 27 Aug 07:40  

Bike:

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on a bike since I was about 9 however I really need to find a form of exercise I enjoy and also to help me with my knees as I had an MRI scan which showed my knee caps are in the wrong position which could lead to osteoarthritis. I don't want to be riding on roads as that makes me nervous so I will probably be doing bridal paths, bike trails, woods etc. I have no idea where to get started. What is the best type of bike to buy for a newbie without spending loads of money? Should I go for a mountain bike? Should I buy online or go to halfords?

biking around 27 Aug 16:30  

Bike:

Hi you've probably had replys by now however' I would strongly recommend a mountain bike with slick tyres so its easier to ride yet having the stability of the frame or buy a hybrid giving you the best of both worlds but they a have slightly weaker frame but not by much. Have a good look on Gumtree as there is bargains galore & bargains on accessories too. Try to stick with names such as GIANT,TREK,BOARDMAN,GT. All are excellent bikes with entry level components so it won't cost the earth to replace & most of all ENJOY.

Cymru69 30 Aug 17:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Natasha,
My advice would be to look on as many sites as possible before making any decision. Try Evans or Wiggle for example and read the reviews . I would suggest you look at a hard-tail mtb as this will be more versatile than a hybrid and generally lighter than a full suspension. If you plan to ride in the winter (wet) I would strongly advise you get disc brakes as they work better. Also buy the best you can afford as in my opinion it's false economy to buy a cheapie and then find you want better in a few months. Look for older models if you can as you don't need the latest spec and 2013 and 2014 models will soon be on offer to make way for 2015 models. It's certainly worth finding a few models and then asking if your local bike shop can come close to matching the price as you'll likely get more help with setup and fit than say mail ordering.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.