We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

My return to cycling

1 2 >
StanleySteve 25 Jul 11:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi everyone,

Up until my early 20's I was a very keen road cyclist and really loved hopping on my bike and just taking off for a few hours. Twenty-five years later and having been inspired by my son who took up the sport last year and did a charity ride from Stoke-London-Paris last year I've given in to the urge and I'll be getting back in the saddle very soon.
I'm really looking forward to getting back out again and perhaps doing a few fun rides next year when I've got used to being on two wheels again!
Bikes certainly have changed a bit since I was last on one but there are some really lovely looking machines to choose from these days. The bike I have just got a hold of was a Birthday present from my wife who was sick of hearing me threatening to get back on the road these past few years and at £650 it may not be top of the range as bikes go these days but to us it is a major investment and I'm determined to make the very best use of it!
If anyone has any suggestions of just how I should go about easing myself back into the saddle I'd be very in hearing them.

Cheers everyone.

Steve
County Durham

My Latest Route: Aug 2012 Stanley Circuit
BusterG 26 Jul 03:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Steve.
welcome back, we missed you!
Start off gentle and slowly increase your distances. Dont go out guns blazing too hard and too fast coz it will feel like hard work and you wont enjoy it.

What bike do you have? My road bike is a flat handlebar raliegh as40 came in second hand at £250, new was £499. but I love it.

Good luck and get those wheels turning.
Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

oldbill 26 Jul 06:51  

Bike:

As a recent addition to the fraternity too I recommend finding some good railway conversions such as the Tissington trail in Derbyshire. I am sure there are some in your area and they are great for covering a lot of miles, seeing some great countryside and getting used to the saddle without 40 tonne lorries up you behind!
If you do find some good ones please post on here because as a traffic avoider I welcome any new routes.
Cheers
Oldbill

Legslikejelly 28 Jul 07:53  

Bike:

Me too, I used to cycle around Sheffield in my teens and at 45 years old just picked up a Road Bike from Halfords last night. My first aim was around 12 miles but on my first outing in 25 years I set off like a rocket and my legs were like jelly after a couple of miles.

gipa 28 Jul 10:45  

Bike:

My Profile
steve
look up the durham big rides / plus you should know around our area we have great rides lol

StanleySteve 28 Jul 11:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all,

I've been looking at the local rides and also around the local area for a couple of circuits on the quieter roads. I would really like to do a few of the organised rides in the future but definitely need to get used to being on two wheels again first!
My first mini circuit is just under 6 miles and I'm hoping to try the new bike out in the next few days so wish me luck!

oldroadster 31 Jul 06:07  

Bike:

I am 79 years old and I was a keen cyclist until about 24 years of age I even used to cycle about 90 miles a week just to go courting my now wife of 50 plus years of marriage.
I restarted cycling three years ago but I am making slow progress.
I really wanted to get another new bike this year but the weather rather put me off.
When the weather is ok I manage to cycle about25 miles a week I would like to increase
this mileage that is why I need a better bike.At the moment I have a rather heavy hybrid model but as said I want a new bike and I will probably go with hub gears rather than derallier as I am old fashioned and do not fully understand these.
But welcome back to you and do not try to do to much at first,remember you are older and probably not as fit as yiu used to be.

StanleySteve 31 Jul 09:54  

Bike:

My Profile
That is very true! It's amazing how much bikes have changed since I was out one one regularly too. I'm just getting used to using cleats for the first time .... very strange feeling being 'attached' to you pedals!

gipa 31 Jul 11:33  

Bike:

My Profile
they get easier .... ive had a few falls locked in lol ... but stick with it they are spot on .

StanleySteve 01 Aug 09:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Well, today I had my first mini outing and it was great! I only did a few miles and it was really strange to be back on two wheels after all these years. I decided to start a blog recording my progress over the coming months so if anyone cares to look it can be found here : http://backonabike.blogspot.co.uk/ (Hope it's ok to post this here!)

Steve

gipa 01 Aug 09:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Where abouts you live steve I'm at annfield plain.

Specialized Chris 01 Aug 09:58  

Bike:

Like you Steve, i have only recently returned to the saddle. I've decided to be a bit more gentle on myself and taken up road and trail riding instead of the full blown downhill mountain biking i used to get my kicks from 20 years ago.
Three months ago i started and started on 7 miles a day to and from work and have now progressed up to 30+ miles. I've now set myself a challenge to complete the 55 mile Manchester to Blackpool in september which is something i couldn't see myself doing a few months ago.
My best investment apart from my bike, is some decent cycling clothes and shoes. I never realised how much more comfortable my ride is now

StanleySteve 01 Aug 12:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm in Stanley. Right at the bottom of the bank in South Moor.

gipa 01 Aug 12:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I've just done the iveston bank and lanchester bank the route was about 8 mile from my house at annfield plain. If u need a ride buddy to show u some tracks to get u going I will ride u about.

StanleySteve 01 Aug 14:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers mate, I'll take you up on that once I've got a bit more used to the bike and got some stamina built!

Thanks a lot!

gipa 01 Aug 15:08  

Bike:

My Profile
read your blog it was a good read ,seen your bike looks spot on its a road bike / mines a mtb bike but ive put road tyres onto it so i can do both tracks and road . im 47 lol so not much age diffrence .

StanleySteve 03 Aug 10:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Does anyone know of a quiet, LEVEL road in County Durham where I can just spend a few hours getting used to my bike without worrying too much about traffic or hills? ... I may have to move house, there's far too many hills in this area. Lol.

gipa 03 Aug 10:56  

Bike:

My Profile
washington area is canny flat im told and that was off a bloke out on his bike this morning from washington .

expo300 03 Aug 15:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Steve

Read your post thought i'd share my recent renasaince to bike riding, i'm 57 and only started last month, i bought an old mountain bike but have just been out today on my new machine a Claud Butler hybrid, i had started doing a short run of 10 miles a couple of weeks ago today on the new bike i took 14 minutes off my time, i was well chuffed so if like me you have not ridden for years maybe the best way to go is to build yourself a route and try to extend it every couple of weeks to get fitness and stamina levels back up, good luck anyway let us know what you think.

Cheers Phil.

StanleySteve 03 Aug 15:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers Phil,

I have done a couple of runs on the same stretch of road over the past few days but it's a bit too busy traffic-wise but you're spot on with the route idea. I think I just need to find a good circuit close to home and stick to it for a few weeks.

All the best,
Steve

expo300 03 Aug 17:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Steve

Although i live a long way from you i know Stanly as i travel through it on my way to Matalan in Consett i know its really hilly good luck finding a flat spot.

Phil

albion 04 Aug 03:56  

Bike:

My Profile
hi Steve,

your best bet is to spin up to the Tanfield Railpath and get down to the Tyne.
The routes east and west are then flat enough to leave you with enough energy to get back home.

Currently the path north of the Tyne is better than south.
I consider the route to Hexham as very flat compared to most of the 'hilly north'.

For longer distance head north. I occasionally do an 'easy 100 mile' loop to Alnwick/Amble/Boulmer. It is probably only easy in comparison to the rest of the north.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

StanleySteve 04 Aug 04:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Just looked at the Tamfield Railpath but the majority of the route is 'off road' so not really suitable for my bike. I've been considering looking at some of the roads heading out to Hexham. As you say, a lot of these are a lot flatter than here in the Stanley / Durham area.

StanleySteve 07 Aug 11:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Had a great ride down by Derwent Resevoir earlier today. Just over a 6 mile run but I really, really enjoyed it. No 'jelly-leg' today and felt a hell of a lot more confident in the saddle this time.

One little niggle that someone may be able to help me with. I noticed a few times during the ride that a couple of gears were 'clicking' as I was riding. Hard to describe but once or twice the bike sounded as if it wasn't in gear properly though it rode just fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers all,

Steve

expo300 16 Aug 09:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Steve

Following your blog with great interest, been trying to make comments on the site but cant work out how to do it[u/s with computers]ive left my email on your site hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers Phil

StanleySteve 16 Aug 09:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers Phil

If you click on 'no comments' under one of the articles a box should pop up so that you can leave a comment.... I think!

Cheers mate,
Steve

StanleySteve 17 Aug 12:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Hope this bloomn rain stops b tomorrow as I'm planning another run up to Derwent Resevoir.... English Summer time eh?, Don't you just love it?

gipa 17 Aug 12:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Think I might do some of the beast track if weather okay. Start from annfield plain and just follow the beast track for a few hours.

gipa 18 Aug 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
ended up doing some of the beast and took a wrong turn and went on a nice long ride up hills .ended up 28 mile ride just in my area ,

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.