We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Grand Union Canal - Page 2

1 2 3 > >>
newstewart 31 Dec 06:56  

Bike:

Is it possible to cycle the entire length of the grand Union Canal from Birmingham to London with little road cycling. We are trying to plan this route to cycle this summer and hope it can be completed in 3 days. What we don't know is which sections you can't cycle on and (if any) are the detours easy to follow and will they include busy main roads. Our intentions are to travel from Glasgow to Birmingham by train and return from London to Glasgow.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

merlie 11 Sep 00:00  

Bike:

message to amarls ... muddy fox adventurer eh ??? I have the same bike if not very similar... has held me in good stead for about 7/8 years. Incidentally I regularly do the stretch from Alperton into London - very easy ride apart from having to join loon balls on the road at little venice for a while.

ebenzo 07 Oct 14:40  

Bike:

Hi!
I'm a 17-year-old student who plans to do a self-organized charity bike ride from London Paddington to Birmingham and back again, with at most 10 other mates.

We are scheduling it for February half-term and plan to spend one day in Birmingham for sight-seeing. Not all of us are very experienced riders so, bearing that in mind, can anyone give me advice (one way) on the mileage, how to long it will take, any rest stops (accommodation), etc or anything else useful? I've read all the posts in this thread and they have been extremely helpful. Thanks for that!

To give you an idea of my current fitness, I can cycle the Alpteron to Paddington stretch in about 40 mins with about 2 or 3 rest periods for water ,etc, and that is on a cheap heavy, but comfortable full-suss bike (Apollo Excel). I aim to get this down to 20-25 mins through the cycling machine and real cycling, and am due to purchase a Cube LTD Race which should already shave off at least 10 mins. My friend (you may have seen him), who regularly does the Alpterton-Paddington route can already do it in around that time; would that be sufficient in terms of fitness?

Regards to all.

Marrrow 27 Oct 09:29  

Bike:

Hi has anyone ever bike from Loughborough to London on the canal and back before becuse i am planning to it next year somtime. I am planning the route along the canal with os maps. Am going to be doing it on rigid single speed off road bike.

Any help on what the route is like would be really helpful.

jknotty 08 Mar 14:31  

Bike:

hi im planning to cycle from milton keynes to london is the paths good and can anyone give me advice on what to do thank you. i am 15 years old and love cycle but can i handle it?

can anyone give me advice thank you

DrBeccles 16 Apr 10:46  

Bike:

Hello,
I'm just back from a trip along the Grand Union. We set off from Leicester with the aim of getting to London. The stretch from Leicester to Northampton was quite tough (it'd been raining) and about 5 miles in all 8 of us were struck with punctures....punctures...more punctures. Parts were unridable due to the mud and after my 5th puncture walking seemed a more friendly option.

My advice would be to make sure you've puncture proof tyres and use the green slime for the inner tubes. Also, the locals in Foxton advised that they'd just clipped the Hawthorn hedges and left the clippingso n the towpath - we were pulling huge hawthorns out of the tyres all day.

We didn't make it but think if we'd have the tyres / green slime and attempted on a dry day later in the year (i.e. non-hawthorn time!) we'd have had a better chance.

Foxton was great and recommend a beer at the No.61 and for campers ask there for directions to Bob's Field.

Josh 16 Apr 12:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Sorry to hear about your unsuccessful attempt on the GUC to London.

I'm attempting the route from Birmingham City Centre to Centra London, ending up at Westminster, on the GUC on the 6/7th of June this year with a few mates. I think June should be drier, but you never know with the British weather being so unpridictable.

Your absolutely correct in saying that puncture proof tyres with slime inner tube back up system is definiteley a must on this sort of venture as the canal towpath is very variable with the rural sections being tough going in many places. Having said that, even with both protection systems, it's still not a guarantee that you won't get a puncture as I had one on my training runs in February.

You didn't say over how many days you were looking to attempt the trip...
I'm hoping to do it in 2 days , 80+ miles on the first day and 60+ on the second day, covering a total of 150miles. I think it's possible to do as I've been doing trial times on various canal sections and have been averaging 9/10 miles per hour. Will be returning back to Brum on the train from Euston station including the bikes.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 West Bromwich Circular via Great Barr and Kings Heath

nelson 01 Jun 12:03  

Bike:

Myself and my girlfriend cycled the canal last weekend from Solihulll to London. We used a c boardman halfords hybrid with kevlar tires and a specialized with 26" wheels and front suspesion. Both bikes were fine. 4 punches in total. bits of note:

section 10 miles either side of Braunston very slow going ~5-6 miles an hour max. pretty solid paths from MK onwards. Section closed just before Norton Junction or new inn ( mile 48 on http://www.gucr.co.uk/route.asp?map=10). We continued as far as we could along path until hit fencing then took path up to right onto A rd which led us down to a cross rd where we took a left down to the New Inn pub and the canal (all visible on map section of the above link) also closed by that bulls bridge at start of paddington arm. We gave up here and took the rd in via Notting Hill.

Took us 2 days in total around 20hrs cycling. Camped both nights beside canal, no one seemd to mind.

Josh 02 Jun 07:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the helpful notes.

I'm doing the run this weekend, the 6th & 7th of June, with a group of 4 cyclists. Hoping to complete within 2days as the weather forecast looks ideal.

Just a couple of questions;
You said 4 punctures in total, so did you use SLIME as a backup to the Kevlar protection in your tyres?

Are there any really bad overgrown sections along the route to look out for?

Velocipede 02 Jun 13:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Josh

Good luck for this weekend. I cycled Milton Keynes to London last August. It was great fun, took me a day (68 miles) but apparently the best tow paths are from MK to London. I did not get a puncture BUT did splash out on puncture proof tyres (worth every penny).

Sharon

Hi Newstewart and anyone else on this thread thinking of taking the challenge!

YES you can cycle all the way from Birmingham to London along the Grand Union and the suggested time is 3 days, though guess if you're super fit, you might achieve it in less. As above would strongly reccomend puncture proof tyers. Good luck

nelson 04 Jun 12:07  

Bike:

Hi Josh,

i had kevlar schwabe tires on one bike and the specialized own re-inforced tires on other. No slime! Punctures came from 2 nails (found in tire) and some thorns- no chance slim would seal that!

No overgrown sections encountered. The hedges have not been cut yet so guess less likely to get flats. Large sections north of MK are grass paths that are pretty bumpy but not enough to stop you in your tracks. We found the pace did drop down to jogging speed at times though.

good luck!

Josh 09 Jun 18:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Nelson,

Just completed the Birmingham 2 London run on the GUC this weekend, 6th& 7th June. Couldn't have picked a worst weekend to do it! Unbelievably bad weather..rain..rain..and more rain. What happened to the Sun!!!

Started out at 6:09am Saturday morning in torrential rain, which only eased up until we hit Braunston, about 45 miles out. Lost one our group at Fosse Locks (31miles) due to him sustaining a knee injury, but got picked up by his wife. I slipped into the canal about 3miles from Braunston...aaaagh. This section of the canal was very grassy, wet, slippy and narrow in many places, probably the worst stretch on the whole route.

My camera and mobile phone packed up after the fall and trip computer was playing up. Seems as if the water got into everything and the others mobiles were affected by the rain getting in.

Left Milton Keynes at 9:20am Sunday morning.. and yes..the rain was even worse than Saturday. Luckily, we only suffered 1 puncture which on was my bike, but was an old repair rupturing rather than the tyre being penetrated. This was 2 miles from Leighton Buzzard.

Due to the poor weather, we decided to save time and take in some road sections after Leighton Buzzard up until Hemel Hemstead (18miles) and again after Uxbridge upto Euston Station (18miles). We managed to get to the station with just 40 minutes to spare!!!

To summarize:-

Saturday - started out 6:09am, arrived @ Milton Keynes Fenny Stratford (Campanile Hotel) 8:30pm
Sunday - started out 9:20am, arrived @ Euston Station 7:12pm

Total time out including breaks etc. 24hrs & 13min

Distance travelled - 145miles (averaging 6miles/hr)

Bike - B Twin7 (Decathlon) Hybrid with 700cc wheels and Schwalbe Marathon with Kevlar Guard and Slimed inner tubes

Looking to do it again, next year, with my mate who pulled out as he was gutted no being able to complete. Hope the weathers better!

Josh

P.S. I think we've raised approx. £2300 for the charity NSPCC for their Child Helpline.

darking 05 Nov 08:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I live on a narrowboat on the Grand Union, and have cycled this and other canals extensively in small and large parts.

A book that I heartily recommend is "Grand Union Walks" Anthony Burton and Neil Curtis published by Aurum Press Ltd ISBN No 1854102443

It gives a wealth of information on the entire route with little diversions into local history, nature study, good pubs and other stuff.

The bike that I ride is a 3 speed Brompton, which stows well in my boat, and I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres pumped to 3 bars, but there are perils and it can be a bit challenging.

I once was happily pedaling up the towpath, swerving to avoid a puddle, when the front wheel of my inky dinky folding bike fell into a sinkhole. I went base over apex into the canal and came up hawking out the filth that breeds in there,and being a relatively high bank it became a desperate struggle to climb out.

Although no one actually saw my humiliating exit and re entry, an awful lot saw me riding home soaking wet, with weed adorning my cycle helmet (which went unnoticed by me until I got home and took it off).

While still traveling home I was annoyed to find my phone and sunglasses were obviously drowned as my top pocket was now empty, as was my back pocket where my keys had been, so I had to climb in a window and drip my way to the bathroom. I had a long shower, ranting at the tiles until eventually drying off and going to bed.

if there are any other other Brommy riders let me know how you are coping.

matt23 19 Dec 17:45  

Bike:

Hi I wondered if anyone could help me.I need to find out the distance from Leicester to London following the Grand Union Canal?

Josh 22 Dec 12:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Matt,

According to the Canal Route Journey Planner the distance is approx. 130miles from Leicester to Brentford in London upto the Thames river. From there it's another 12miles following the course of the river Thames on pathways/road.

Check out the website on www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi and then click "Plan a Journey".

It's a great site for planning all your canal bike rides!

Enjoy

Josh

lundon2210 24 Feb 15:48  

Bike:

I think im a few years late in replying, but hopefully someone will read this, ive cycled the G U C several times now, im more of a plodder than a speeder, i prefer to carry camping gear with me. to book hotels in advance doesnt allow for much leway if it doesnt go to plan. if u have camping gear u can pitch up at the side of a lock if need be. ive not done the leicester bit, but from what little i can gather its not much good for cyclists. infact rivers are best avoided for long distance rides, the tow paths (mud tracks) are very inconsistant.
anyone wanting any info on the G U C, good bits, bad bit, where to eat sleep and drink, email me direct at lundon2210@aol.com
ive cycled most of the canal network now, so anyone wanting to know anything regarding canal cycling in general, i'll be happy to help if i can.

Gary

maz2000 19 Jun 08:52  

Bike:

hi im after some info really i plan on riding down to leamington spa from stoke on trent and got use a couple of canals i was wondering

how the paths are and which way is faster and how ong would it take me get there any info will be good thanks

smithie 05 Jan 19:37  

Bike:

My Profile
I have posted this elsewhere but here goes.....this is possibly the most up to date reference on here;

I and 3 others cycled from Birmingham to London using the GUC in October 2010. Most of the good advice is already here but here's mine anyway.

DO get puncture-sealant tyres and the best puncture proof tyres you can afford.
We had about 12 punctures between us and it is such a drag.

The towpath is almost non-existent in places, mainly north of Milton Keynes. In rain and mud like we had, it feels pretty dangerous, slipping all over the place. If you can leave it 'til the last moment to allow for a chance of good weather, take that chance.

Stoke Bruerne was great, there are a couple of canalside pubs that are very welcoming.

Ideal stopovers are the Boathouse @ Weedon, Travelodge Hemel Hempstead and same at Kings Cross. We did the whole trip for £65.00 including 3 nights accom and train travel!! But we did book very early.

Towpath south of MK range from fair to excellent.

And finally, a good little tearoom at Denham Locks with home-made buns!!

bluezebra 13 Feb 14:31  

Bike:

I just republished my account of cycling the Grand Union Canal

http://zebrafish.biz/travel/grand-union-canal-cycle-ride

bluezebra 19 Feb 08:18  

Bike:

I just republished my account of cycling the Grand Union Canal
http://zebrafish.biz/travel/grand-union-canal-cycle-ride

Pedee 07 Mar 18:24  

Bike:

Hi I've cycled this route 6 times to date doing it again in May for charity. We start in Paddington and finish in Smethwick (event is Smethwick challenge for Acorns charity) it's an easy three days but can be done in two. There a three tunnels that do not have towpaths, heading south to north these are Blisworth,Braunstone and Shrewley you will need to follow the old horse tracks over the top.
It can all be cycled however some areas are tricky these are mainly between Braunstone and Napton. For three days we stop at Lieghton Buzzard first night then Weedon second night. Too many pubs to mention I enjoy it with about 40 other riders theres always help available. Take time to prep your bike we use puncture proof tyres slime tubes Kevlar liners etc. from experience this will save your hours of puncture repairs.

Hope this helps

herbie 08 Mar 14:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Pedee,

Can I ask where you stop at Leighton Buzzard.

I struggle to find cycle friendly hotels/ B&B -- which has put me off doing the full route I have done Birmingham to Milton Keynes a couple of times but jump on train to come back same day.

thanks

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

Pedee 08 Mar 15:18  

Bike:

Herbie try the Swan

Last two years we have stopped at a travel lodge in Hemelhemstead this has been because the Swan in Lieghton Buzzard has been closed for refurb. However I believe we are booked into the Swan again this year. Previously they have accommodated 40 riders and bikes

sheffield 11 Apr 09:40  

Bike:

i am looking at doing the london to birmingham, but i want to carry on up to sheffield. Does anyone know if this is possible.

elmtreefarmaccommodation 15 Jul 08:23  

Bike:

If anyone is doing Grand Union Canal bike ride we are half way at bridge number 64. (north of Milton Keynes and south of Stoke Bruerne) If you are hard core cyclists you can do it in 2 days with a stop of at Elm Tree Farm Accommodation www.elmtreefarmbandb.co.uk We are situated opposite a pub so ideal for dinner. Some advice (from cyclists not me!)is that the Birmingham to us stretch is quite hard going in places, but from us to London the tow path is much nicer! GOOD LUCK!

elmtreefarmaccommodation 15 Jul 08:24  

Bike:

That is half way between London and Birmingham! ww.elmtreefarmbandb.co.uk

bootyfootball 02 Aug 07:18  

Bike:

Did London to Birmingam couple of weeks ago. Made it to Blisworth tunnel in one day 110 miles. Camped in a field- tow paths were good considering how wet it was. Day 2 65 miles to Birmingham was very tough going. Wet muddy and very overgrown in places. No punctures!

Tex 26 Sep 11:31  

Bike:

Planning to do B'ham to Northampton mid October but not sure if is Gas street or Salford Junction as the official start of the GUC

herbie 18 Oct 07:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Finally did got round to doing the Grand Union Canal
Birmingham (Yardley) to London (Marylebone Station).

140 miles over two days ( detour to avoid Towpath around Braunston)
14 & half hours actual cycling
2.5 hours food breaks / stops during the two days

No punctures / mechanical issues.

1st Half is the killer wet grass / muddy towpaths draining the legs.

Overnight stay at Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes.
arranged cycle storage with Charles - Guest Service Manager.

2nd half was about keeping tired legs going on easier towpaths.

With the condition of the tow paths and tired legs the average speed came down to 9.6 MPH.

I caught train back to Solihull - but had to wait around as there are no bikes allowed on Chiltern Trains leaving London during the rush hour 16.30 and 19.30

----- in hindsight I should have checked or got there earlier ------

My Latest Route: Sep 2012 Birmingham to Worcestor Via Canal

bike123 06 May 15:06  

Bike:

hi me an my friend are thinking on cycling.from knowle in warickshire,to london over just a weekend.what ideal esentials would we need to take.

xeneize 13 Nov 12:43  

Bike:

Hi

Im planning to go cycling from MK to London through the Grand Union Canal

has somebody done this route? Do you need any special permit for cycling in the Canal?

And, after that, the key question, is it possible to reach London through the Canal route, or is there any point where you cant continue?

Thank you
Read more at http://www.cycle-route.com/forum/General-Chat-MK-London-through-Grand-Union-Canal-Thread-5359.html#1GZX4ZVB6yMwbhHB.99

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.