We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Eastbourne to Winchester ride in April 2014

skywalker 16 Mar 19:25  

Bike:

Hi folks,
I'm thinking of doing Eastbourne to Winchester ride in early to
to mid April (possibly bank holiday). Was wondering if anyone
is interested in joing me?

Have heard it's quite interesting trail but I've never done it myself. As it's 100 miles in total I would like to do it in 2 days. I live in SE London so I'm considering driving to Eastbourne (it's closer than Winchester), cycle to Winchester (stopping for a night/pint somewhere half way, bivvying would do, am not fussy:) and then train back to Eastbourne from Winchester and drive back to London. I can give a lift to 1 person from SE London (or somewhere on route).
Let me know if you're up for it,
Amy advice also appreciated
Cheers

BusterG 17 Mar 07:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Skywalker
Are you going on or off road? Off-road I imagine you would be going on the south downs way (SDW). the south down national park has a good accommodation finder which I used for when i did the SDW Winchester to Eastbourne. We stayed in a B+B in Washingston on the A24.
I have always wanted to do it the other way Eastbourne to Winchester as I would be comming home, which is Petersfield area. Do you realise that East to West is generally AGAINST the prevailing winds?

On road, is a good option too but there are a few different routes one can take. criss-crossing the south downs would be the meatier option and sticking to the coast is another. I have done the coast route Brighton to Posrtmouth before but it is very traffic heavy and doesnt have the views or hills of the South Downs.

Good luck with your efforts and I hope you find someone to do it with you.
Buster.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

skywalker 17 Mar 09:01  

Bike:

Hi BusterG,

Thanks for your post and tips.
I'll be doing off road (SDW), have enough of traffic where I live :) Prevailing winds do make me wonder whether the Winchester to Eastbourne is not a better idea...It's closer to Eastbourne from SE London but it takes the same time to get to Winchester as to Eastbourne according to Google maps (M25 helps here). So I will probably do Winchester to Eastbourne route in that case. Thanks.

BusterG 27 Mar 12:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Good luck with your ride. It is a bit of a slog but well worth it.
Let me know when you plan on doing it - I may tag along for stretch. QE Park to Cocking probably.
Check out these sites www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way
and www.bikedowns.co.uk/ (a bit eccentric but helpful all the same)

skywalker 28 Mar 04:54  

Bike:

Cheers, will check them out.
I went on few rides in my local woods as well as Bedgbury forest. Good fun. Although, I'm not quite ready for 100 miles in 2 days. My usual activities (basketball, gym) tend to be "sprint" rather than "marathon".
Will definitely do SDW (or part of it) in mid April (either between 12th-14th or 19th-22nd). Will give you a shout nearer the time.
In May I'm doing The Welsh Ride Thing so SDW should be a good practice session ☺

skywalker 07 Apr 06:09  

Bike:

Hi there,
I'll be probably going to South Downs this weekend, let me know if you are up for it?

BusterG 08 Apr 05:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Skywalker.

I am busy on Saturday (kids football) and i am guessing that by Sunday you will probably be out of my area (that is petersfield/A3 --> Cocking A286).

There a couple of local forums that we can post on to see if anyone is about to accompany you for a the section.
Are you still going Winchester to Eastbourne?
Leaving Saturday morning from Winchester. it is roughly 20miles to the A3/QECP

skywalker 11 Apr 05:58  

Bike:

Hi,
No worries. I probably won't have time to post on forums this time.
I decided to do Winchester to Eastbourne direction. Starting Sat morning finishing either Sunday evening or Monday morning, will see how it goes :)
btw, thanks for links bikedowns site is particularly useful.

skywalker 13 Apr 15:06  

Bike:

Hi there,
On my way (long) back to London. I did the whole SDW. The whole journey has been EPIC! It is an experience. Loved it. Although, tough at times and plays with your mind a bit. Started at 10:30am on Sat (left home a bit late) from Cheesefoot Head a few miles from Winchester. On a that day I managed to get as far as a few miles past Waschington (so over a half of 100 miles). Was lucky to find a good spot for bivvying once it got pitch black at 9pm. On the hill, with a lovely view on surrounding dwellings and the stars. I even had a few hours of sleep which comes as a bonus 😉
I took off early a few minutes past 6am. Some sections were tough because I was a tired from the previous day. I arrived at Eastbourne knackered but happy just after 2pm...just to find out that there are no trains to Winchester (damn you Southern), and a bus won't take any bikes. I guess I should have checked and should not have assumed that a rail company will provide reliable service. Closest station with indirect trains to Winchester is Lewes. Had no other choice than indulge myself in some more cycling, 20 miles more to be more specific. Irronically this was probably the most challenging part of the day. But I got there eventually. 3h and I will get to Winchester where I'll get into my car for 2h drive.
Overall I am totaly worn out but happy. Going on fumes from energy/protein bars and coffee/energy drinks. Some sections of the SDW are stunning. Weather wise I was v lucky. Definitely got my bike / countryside fix. Should last for a while...until next time 😉

BusterG 15 Apr 04:12  

Bike:

My Profile
well done, very brave to bivvy it. sounds perfect. weather was stunning though i have no doubt you were a bit cold Sunday morning hence the early start.
I remember my 2 day SDW trip in 2007 with affection too but we did have a car to pick us up at the end of it all.
I even recall throwing up my only pint of the trip before dinner with nostagia.

Did you go through Meon Springs (fishing lakes) on Saturday? it is just after old winchester hill? there was country fair there on sunday - that is where I spent my sunday in the end.

TTFN

skywalker 24 Apr 11:04  

Bike:

after doing 100 miles in 2 days on a bike, public transport suddenly seems a bit backward so a car on the end line is a great thing.
Yeah I remember going through Meon Springs. Yeah I could see some prep. going on and people.
Doing WRT (the Welsh Ride Thing) next weekend. Should be fun :)

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.