We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Moving from the US to London - Looking for advise on where to live for bike commuting (working in Chertsey)

BrentCurran 04 Jun 17:29  

Bike:

Hello wonderful cycling community,
I am a bike commuter currently living in Seattle (West Coast of The US) and will soon be moving to London. The job with my company will be in Chertsey and I'm looking for advise on best places to live between Chertsey and Central London which have adequate safety for bike commuting. I am very comfortable with cars and lorries, but imagine there are places and routes where they are not comfortable with us. For example, would Twikingham be a good suggestion with two or three good routes? Thank you in advance for any advise on this. Also, are there communities which are better for cycling wiht my younger kids? Thank you in advance for any thoughts or direction.
Brent

BusterG 05 Jun 07:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Brent.
I dont know the area too well for cycling but there are nice places to live and lots of parks for cycling in with kids.
Start by looking at Transfort for London website. map 10 (link below) covers that area.
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx

the web site cover leisure routes too as well as commuting.
Twickenham and Richmond are nice and commutable to chertsey too.

Goodluck with the move and cycling uin the area.
Buster

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

BrentCurran 12 Jun 11:03  

Bike:

Thank you Buster - I think I owe you a pint!

BusterG 13 Jun 06:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Brent
Someone posted up another site that does cycle routes too.
http://www.cyclestreets.net/area/
I had a go yesterday it may work better in a city than my countryside area, i found it a bit too fussy and too much detail. It keft telling me to use "off" road tracks and walk for 5 minutes to make a link.

good luck.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

PirateJonny 15 Aug 06:15  

Bike:

Hi brent,
If you work in Chertsey ( I lived there a few years ago) consider living the other side i.e. away from London as the countryside is that much closer and I have a few routes that go through Chertsey from Chobham (near Woking).
Nearby, provided you have a cycle rack for your car, there is Viginia Water, Bushey Park, Richmond Park and if you venture into Central London there are several parks, (Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens) which are great for taking the children and having a picnic.
Let me know if you need more information.
Jon

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.