We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Etape Pennines in Durham on 7th October

cloughie68 24 Apr 13:50  

Bike:

My Profile
hi anyone doing the Etape Pennines Cycle Event on 7th October. How is your training going. The climbs are torturous.

alas58 24 Apr 14:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes i am, Training I do spin class, and have planned some sportives in may/ june including the tyne valley sportive which has some climbs ie out of Stanhope. i am only doing the 42 miles as i will be using the MTB but plan to do the cyclone using the road bike.

I am not looking for speed but hope to develop climbing, Do you have any tips to share? I find spin class very helpfull.

cloughie68 24 Apr 14:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Good to hear from u, I jsut get out there and get as many miles in as possible, did part of the route of the Etape Pennines on Saturday gone, from Ushaw Moor to Middleton-in-teesdale thru High Force the climbed up and over to St. johns Chapel. but missed out the remainder of the Etape Pennine route instaead came back via A689..

Doing the Beast as part of the Durham Big Ride, in Sept, which will also be good training for Etape.

Training wise,, I guess it's what works for you really,,, nenver tried the Spinning Class.. but if it works for u....

Check out my BLOG http://cloughycycling.wordpress.com/

timrob 24 Apr 17:20  

Bike:

Me and a mate are doing it as part of a plan to do L'etape du tour in 2013. Problem is we are both total beginners and half of us (ie me) are overweight.

We both bought Specialized Allez Sports in March and we have been out three times a week since then and have a training programme that sees both distance and slopes increase over the next few months. I've lost a stone since mid-March and we've upped our distances from 3 miles to just shy of 20 miles (just did 19 miles this evening).

Looking forward to taking in a couple of other rides in the build up to the Etape Pennines in October, more than anything else we need to get used to riding in numbers.

albion 24 Apr 18:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Cloughie, did it include the old drove road SW from Hamsterley Forest to Blackton?

I've done a couple of Hamsterly Forest loops over the last few weeks from near Gateshead. Middleton-in-Teesdale is my next on my hoped for mid-point.

I'm wondering what its like. Last time it was 79 miles to Barnard Castle but I made the route loop a mixed comfortable one returning via Bishop.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

cloughie68 25 Apr 04:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Heh albion, yeah the Etape got lots of hills, goes through Esh Winning, then climbs up out of Waterhouses, through the top of Crook, Whitton Park, Hamsterley, Woodland into Middleton in Teesdale, High Force climbs over to St John's Chapel, then another big climb up and over to Rookhope, then yet more climbing over to near Blanchland, then back up to Rowley, Old Esh and back to Ushaw College,, there a couple of nastly little climbs near the end just to test you more.

Check out the Etape Pennines here http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/68290122

cloughie68 25 Apr 04:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Heh timrob sounds like you putting the miles in then, so where u from, I live in Ushaw Moor tried to get feedback from anyone locally doing the Etape Pennines but no responses.

What about the Beast as part of the Durham Big ide,, that would be good training for the Etape.

I did the beast last year on my MTN bike with slicks,, don't have a road bike anymore, so using my BH urban Sport.

timrob 25 Apr 08:08  

Bike:

We're in Liverpool. So far we have been mixing up road routes and cycle routes, and we've been up and down the Liverpool loop line, which is all good. But we havent done any hills yet, or any significant ones anyway.

We'll start to incorporate the slopes over the next couple of months. At the moment we are still on cage pedals, but these are a pain in the arse and we are hoping to have the clips fitted one night this week.

The Beast looks interesting, I'll look into that further over the next few days. I'm also trying to get a ride at some other event with another errrm friend at some point over the summer. Its all good practice/fun.

albion 25 Apr 10:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Not that drove road then.
Thinks I'll drove it to Blacktop and loop to Woolly Hill on my next outing. Lucky thing there is that it bypasses that Forest Drive soth exit.

It does sound a great event.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

cloughie68 25 Apr 11:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Just did 25 mile up here in Durham over the moors in terrible rain and blasting winds from the East... doh :(

alas58 25 Apr 13:47  

Bike:

My Profile
I might try the "the Beast" as it looks like good prep for the etape. Using the mountain bike at mo due to weather, do not want to get my road bike dirty.

Going to spin thurs,friday out on bike over the weekend, back to spin on monday, then maybe a steady ride midweek before doing the sportive on the 5th.

Hope I get up the Hills ok,

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.