Suitable traffic free route for 8 year old near Berkshire maximum 100 miles long please !!

Cycle Route Forum > Cycle Route News Forum >
shep 08 Oct 18:25  

Bike:

Hi all

My son (8) and I are hoping to do a flattish traffic free cycle route this half term (October) of preferably continuous cycling - (not a series of short routes) of minimum 50 and maximum 100 miles to raise money for his primary school - for solar pv panels!! We live near Newbury in Berkshire. Can anyone recommend a route please. We plan to do it over 6 ish days staying in accommodation eg youth hostels on the route. Thanks a lot. Christine.

rustyspoke 08 Oct 18:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Well first of all I wish you all the best of luck.
However 100 miles over six days I think would be hard for an 8 year old to do going off what my grand children do.
But you will need to at least 25 miles per day over four days over six I suppose you could cut this about 15 miles but thats hard even for a fit 8 year old.
Watch out for dehydration carry lots of fluids and energy food.
Other than that best of luck.
Contact CTC FOR Cycle routes.

shep 09 Oct 16:58  

Bike:

Hi Rustyspoke, thanks for your reply. I will contact the CTC. We just aim to see how he does each day and make it fun so no pressure to achieve. Thanks for the advice - we will take it! We are now looking at the Kennet and Avon Canal route from Reading to Bath which seems to fit the bill. Chris

rustyspoke 09 Oct 17:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Your welcome hope you manage it .

dudley 14 Oct 13:47  

Bike:

My Profile
i think an eight year old would manage 100 miles over 6 days without too much trouble, given that it is a reasonable bike, and not too hilly. We are talking less than 20 miles a day.
My six year old is not the fittest child in the world and managed 12 miles a day on 2 consecutive days, on a cr*p Halfords piece of junk with no gears.
It sounds like the makings of an amazing adventure, which they'll always remember.
6 nights in Youth Hostels will be as fun as the cycling, i'd think, at that age.

Good luck

(as for traffic free in the South East of England.... good luck with that!)

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular