We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Altrincham to Manchester City Centre - off road along canal - Possile?

luiji07 04 Apr 06:29  

Bike:

Hi everyone - I am new to this site so apologies if this has already been asked
Although I have spent hours searching internet for answer

I am wanting to cycle from Altrinhcam to Manchester City Centre but not along any main roads and was wondering if anyone has managed this

I know I can get on the path along bridgewater canal at side of Halfords in Broad heath but will this path take me all the way to Castlefiled or city centre?

I have looked at several websites one in which it said there was fencing put up along the route as they were making some improvements
So was wondering if anyone has done this route recently and if so if it is possible and what the conditions are like and how long it takes approx

Many thanks in advance

fatherdamo 15 Apr 08:11  

Bike:

Hi there
I used the towpath all summer last year to go the other way to Altrincham. The path has been improved for much of its length, between Brooklands and Stretford it is now very good indeed. From Broadheath to Brooklands is a little bumpy and a lot of puddles develop with surprisingly little rain. I know it was planned to be upgraded but I can't say if it has been done or is in progress. The stretch from Stretford to Castlefield and the centre of town is a little narrow in parts and is often used by walkers.
Broadheath to Stretford takes about 20 minutes at full pace on a hybrid bike. I guess the route from Stretford to the centre of town will take a little longer than you expect because it is not a straight route and the need to pass the walkers, say 10-15 minutes.

luiji07 15 Apr 08:29  

Bike:

Thanks

I tried the route and like you said from stretford into castlefiled is so narrow - add on the geese trying to attack me which with one wrong swerve would land me in the canal I decided to pass on that route - it is also quite muddy

thanks for your reply :)

fatherdamo 19 Apr 04:31  

Bike:

You could try leaving the towpath at Stretford and taking Kings Road, a little sidestep along Northumberland Road and you will pick up the cycle path on Stretford Road. This road is very wide, but only 1 lane of cars in each direction. I wouldn't hesitate to use it regardless of time. At the end of Stretford Road there are various routes into town, pick the one that fits you.
If that suits you can vary the route a little by covering the first half of Kings Road by detour through Longford Park.

emr 05 Mar 11:02  

Bike:

Thank you so much for this great information. I am new to Altrincham and just wondered whether it were possible to ride to Old Trafford, along the canal. So now I have my answer. Brilliant!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.