We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

New to cycling,had a recent knee replacment(4 weeks)

Kevin.gillingham 13 Jul 02:34  

Bike:

As stated above,I'm still in early recovery from a recent knee replacment,and have made a decision to purchase a bike to help aid my recovery.
I've had the other one replaced 2yrs ago and,used walking as the way to build up my strength and stamina,but realised after returning to work that I should have purchased a bike.
Now 2yrs later I've made the move and have just ordered my 1st bike.The reason I contact you is that,I'm 56yrs old and are 19st,and are concerned as to how far,and how long do you advise my to start with.
I've made the decision to take up cycling not only to,aid my knee recovery,but also a lifestyle change to get a keep fit and active.
I've decided to use the,Leeds and Liverpool canal to start with to build strength and stamina.
I would appreciate you help and comments.
My email is , Kevin.gillingham@sky.com.

Many thanks
Kevin Gillingham

BusterG 13 Jul 04:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Kevin
Good luck with your efforts and the knee surgery.

I would say that cycling, whilst being non-impact, isnt for everyone with knee problems.
You can ensure all is as well as can be by getting properly measured for your bike and you use a light enough gear so the legs can spin easier and not put too much strain on the knees.
Bike fitting is offered by most bike shops and helps ensure your foot is on the right place on the pedal in relation to your knee. Also that the seat post has the correct tilt and isnt causing you to stretch for the handle bar thereby throwing your posture off.

Good luck

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

TonyD 13 Jul 15:13  

Bike:

HI, I am recovering from a fractured ankle, I love cycling but am off the road for a while. However I am keeping up my fitness level swimming and lost 25 lbs., this maybe a lower impact option for you.
Tony.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.